Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD Bumpers

Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOD Bumpers

Hello, I am looking at the LOD Shorty Stinger Front Bumper and Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier! I would like to know how these Bumpers are holding up? (Strength, Coating, Etc) I live in Alberta, Canada where we deal with some harsh winters. Also does anyone know the weight of either of these Bumpers? (I cant find it anywhere) Any squeaking or rattling? Tire carrier Issues? Also I am looking at the Smittybilt XRC Comp 10 Winch and wondering if it will bolt in the front Bumper or not? If anyone has any comments on the Winch as well that would be much appreciated!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be ready for LOTS of rust. I have both the bumpers you mention. My rear bumper with gen 2 tire carrier is severely rusted. The front bumper has rust stains coming out from under the LoD symbol, under the gussets at the base of the singer bar, and from under the angled plate at the front of the bumper. I just had the rear bumper stripped, blasted, and I primed and painted it today. The front was brand new in July last year, first winter, and it needs some fixing. Living as far north as you do rust will be an issue. They now apparently have a extra process/priming/coating that you have to pay extra for that will hopefully survive winter. Other than that I love everything about these bumpers. Tough as nails, great looking, rattle free, and easy to install.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

search function will reveal the ugly truth, they start to rust in shipping. if you are set on them, try to get them bare and finish them yourself.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Gen 2 rear bumper w/ tire carrier and 2 Gerry Can racks. Have seen no rusting issues.... yet.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

I have the first JK bumpers that they came out with. I only have rust where there is no powder coat, but most of that is my fault, but we don't have the harsh winters like you guys up north.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpion111180
Hello, I am looking at the LOD Shorty Stinger Front Bumper and Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier! I would like to know how these Bumpers are holding up? (Strength, Coating, Etc) I live in Alberta, Canada where we deal with some harsh winters. Also does anyone know the weight of either of these Bumpers? (I cant find it anywhere) Any squeaking or rattling? Tire carrier Issues? Also I am looking at the Smittybilt XRC Comp 10 Winch and wondering if it will bolt in the front Bumper or not? If anyone has any comments on the Winch as well that would be much appreciated!
I have had the the rear gen2 with tire carrier onfor about 10months. I don't have any problems with mine other than the carrier swingout lock pin is seized which is no biggy for me cause I never use it. It's solid,no rattles. I'm in edmonton btw.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

LoD makes some really nice stuff but the finish sucks. I live in TN and have some rust on mine. They rust from under the finish and it flakes off. Had several spots after last winter and a few more after this one. The LoD badges on the sliders have rusted really bad. I would buy these again but would request them unfinished and take care of that myself.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info guys. I am not going to buy a bumper I dint like over three becaus of the powder coating. Jst looks like I will need to fo some finishing work myself sometime. Does anyone happen to known the weight of either of these.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Like others have said, nice bumpers, solid, but lousy finish for sure considering the amount you pay. You're better off getting it powder coated yourself or having it line-xed. Mine LOD armor is rusting like crazy and I don't drive it much, if at all, in the winter
Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak
I'm going on 1 year on the Stinger and Tire Carrier. No rust here, I touch up the scraps with a rattle and prob wash my rig more then most.
I had no issues at all with mine in NOVA winters. My first real winter, here in NY, and rust everywhere. I wash mine religiously and touch up bare metal as well.

Quick Reply: LOD Bumpers