Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking Lug Nuts

Old 04-04-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
I took my locking lug nuts off. Not worth the trouble and potential problems.
I just removed my yesterday and won't be replacing them. Lost the key somewhere and had to remove them with a slightly smaller socket and a hammer. They actually came off without too much trouble without the key.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums
I just removed my yesterday and won't be replacing them. Lost the key somewhere and had to remove them with a slightly smaller socket and a hammer. They actually came off without too much trouble without the key.
Thats the dirty little secret. I used to own three used car dealerships. We'd take cars in all the time with locking lug nuts and no key. Didn't slow us down at all. Nor will they slow a thief. But hey, if it makes you feel good..............But when you're on the trail and can't get them off..........
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got two matching sets of the locks (4 to a pack) and have 1 on each wheel and 3 on the spare as well as a spare lock & key.

They are like any other lock, they work on honest people.
Anybody can cut a slot in one pretty quick with a cut off wheel, or hammer a socket over it, or whatever to get it off.

And if that makes you feel better about not running them, just remember, 99% of the time thieves will move on to something easier without locks.
And with all these people out of work, stealing is bound to go way up. Other crime indicators are on the upswing, in particular I see Rx forgeries are way up considering you an make a quick 8 grand off 1 fake prescription.

Those of you not running any locks at all, leave it that way, maybe they will leave my Hutchinson/Toyos alone.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrg! I just got some Mopar locking lugs as a gift and they don't fit! Well, the nuts fit, but the key does not!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

The key for my Mopar locks wouldn't work either. My solution was to cut down the key just enough and file it. Works perfect for me. Maybe you can use them after all!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepsanddrums
Same here. After misplacing the key somewhere, and needing to take off the wheels, I did the same procedure. Next tire rotation, the spare locking lug nut got the axe for good also. No more looking for that stupid key.

I run the stock Rubicon wheels, though. If I had those nice aftermarket wheels, I'd probably go back to some kind of locking lug nuts, if just for a deterrant for those morons who think they have a right to other people's stuff.

Last edited by glwood6; 08-19-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barretn
The key for my Mopar locks wouldn't work either. My solution was to cut down the key just enough and file it. Works perfect for me. Maybe you can use them after all!
I'm going to see if they are willing to take them back after I opened the package. If not, I'll give this a shot.

I agree with others that locks are a pain in the butt. However, my rims took 3 months to get here and tires took 3 weeks. That is a bigger pain IMO.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

went to the parts guy and they took the locks back with no issue.

When ordering the new nuts, do I just look for 1/2 - 20 Thread?

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nuts