Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking lug nuts

Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking lug nuts

I just invested $1400 in new tires, should I be concerned about theft? I've never heard of anyone having their tires stolen. Has anyone?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by andrewkraemer
I just invested $1400 in new tires, should I be concerned about theft? I've never heard of anyone having their tires stolen. Has anyone?
The only one I'd be worried about getting stolen would be the spare
Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Agreed get a locking nut for the spare.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

I took mine off because every time I had my tires rotated they would forget to tighten them. Lost one after the first rotation. I have one on the spare.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

oh thank G-d. I though this was something similar to when elk lock horns. Tires get stolen a lot. They are quick and easy to remove and to sell. Invest the money in a set of mcgard or gorilla. i used this setup

ht tp://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-71683NBC-System-Chrome/dp/B00280CTEA
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Best insurance wheel locks,We had a local JKer had his I-Rock swampers remove of his Jeep over night and that's 2k to 3k worth of tires gone.You decide
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of mopar locks and went to take off my front wheels to swap out some springs and it shattered off except for the tapered part that sits inside the wheel so I had to drive to my work with only four lugs and take a torch to melt the stud past the tapered part of lock and spent 2 days trying to find a stud to fit in my spidertrax wheel spacer

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121204_065411.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	395089
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good insurance

Mine aren't so pretty anymore with trail scuff marks on the wheels and half worn out tires. I probably will when I upgrade but waiting to get my money out of these first. Locking lug nuts are a small price to pay for the insurance of not loosing the expensive tires. There was a fancy Ford truck two miles from my house sitting on pieces of cord wood recently that someone stole the wheels/tires off and I live in rural Arkansas. Crack seems to be an epidemic in the USA and the addicts will steal anything to get another fix.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

It really depends on where you live, if your car is ever left unattended in an area accessible to the general public, and where in particular it is that they have access to it if and when it’s left unattended. That said, you can never be complacent, regardless of where you live or where you park your car (unless of course it’s constantly in a secured facility). It’s in those brief moments when we leave our guard down that bad stuff happens.

Investing on a set of security lugs obviously can’t hurt. They can always break the studs off, but most thieves typically won’t go through the trouble, unless they’re very high end wheels or again, unless thay have lots of time to do it in a secluded location. At minimum, why make it easy for them? Having your wheels insured against theft would also be very wise.

These were an impulse buy at Autozone the other day. They’re Dorman splined wheel nuts. Upon close inspection they’re identical in every way to Gorilla Nuts, minus the trademark stamp at the base. I’d wager they’re made by the same company but are available for $30 dollars, vs. $60 for Gorillas, plus they look cool too.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

I would differently lock the spare with cable or wheel lock.

Quick Reply: Locking lug nuts