Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking Hood Latches??? Any experience or suggestions?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartacus_33
I think taking those 2 things off that I did would be easier than taking off the grill. Trust me... I did consider removing the grill. ;-)
Removing the grill is actually really easy.....if you have to go that route in the future. It's a few (5 I think) push pins on the top, rotate the turn signals out of the way, and then pull the grill out. I've pulled mine about a million times. Unrelated, but I pull it when I do my monthly waxing to ensure I coat the grill particularly well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls

Removing the grill is actually really easy.....if you have to go that route in the future. It's a few (5 I think) push pins on the top, rotate the turn signals out of the way, and then pull the grill out. I've pulled mine about a million times. Unrelated, but I pull it when I do my monthly waxing to ensure I coat the grill particularly well.

Not to hijack my own thread... but how do the push pins come out? You pry them out with a screwdriver? They are ONLY on the top? No side or bottom pins?

What I did:
Remove 2 bolts to remove the power steering reservoir. Remove 1 nut to remove the horn.

Doesn't get much simpler than that. ;-)

Last edited by spartacus_33; 11-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Yessir- just put a flat tip screwdriver in there and lightly pry, the centers come right up and the push pins come out. (early models have screws). Just the ones you see across the top are it, on the bottom are.....3 of the metal "clips" that just sit in the slots and hold the grill still.

Your power steering pull was pretty easy but you'll need to pull the grill when you do headlights.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 3 hood locks -- 1/ Rugged Ridge doesn't work and a waste of money ; 2/ used a steel cable routed around crossmember, through the hood latch and padlocked together - this works great but is tricky to put together, and then 3/ finally found the Tuffy hood lock which is great, easy to install, does the job, and a good price (compared to the Mopar hood lock).

I question the Rampage locking latches, I admit I haven't seen them in person, from photos they look fragile enough to be easily pried open, therefore I went with the center grill Tuffy lock.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
I question the Rampage locking latches, I admit I haven't seen them in person, from photos they look fragile enough to be easily pried open, therefore I went with the center grill Tuffy lock.
Looking for "experience" and comments (based on that experience). I just installed the Rampage locks yesterday and they are die cast stainless steel. Very heavy for their size. ALL locks are just deterrents. These are also VERY tight and should eliminate hood flutter.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spartacus_33
Looking for "experience" and comments (based on that experience). I just installed the Rampage locks yesterday and they are die cast stainless steel. Very heavy for their size. ALL locks are just deterrents. These are also VERY tight and should eliminate hood flutter.
Keep ya hair on ! You asked for "other" options, and I gave you my experience with 3 different hood locks. I told you that my experience is the Tuffy hood lock works perfectly and why I chose it. I'm allowed to have my opinion and I will share it with others that the Rampage latches don't "look" up to the job, in my humble opinion.

By starting its thread, you asked for opinions and experience -- I gave mine x 3

With regular use, I'd expect locking latches will wear, whereas a more substantial lock will serve the test of time. Again, just my opinion. Stay well, enjoy the latches.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester

Keep ya hair on ! You asked for "other" options, and I gave you my experience with 3 different hood locks. I told you that my experience is the Tuffy hood lock works perfectly and why I chose it. I'm allowed to have my opinion and I will share it with others that the Rampage latches don't "look" up to the job, in my humble opinion.

By starting its thread, you asked for opinions and experience -- I gave mine x 3

With regular use, I'd expect locking latches will wear, whereas a more substantial lock will serve the test of time. Again, just my opinion. Stay well, enjoy the latches.
I appreciate your 3 contributions. Really. I just wasn't looking for speculation, especially if there wasn't any real "touching" or actual "messing" with it/them.

Certainly, you're entitled to your opinion. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Hey all,

I have a Rugged Ridge Mesh Grille Insert. Does anyone know if the MOPAR and/or Tuffy Hood lock will work in combination with the mesh grille insert?

-z
Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetar
Hey all,

I have a Rugged Ridge Mesh Grille Insert. Does anyone know if the MOPAR and/or Tuffy Hood lock will work in combination with the mesh grille insert?

-z
It can, you'll just need to cut out a small section of your RR mesh.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Will the mopar hood lock still fit with an auto trans coolers? Specifically the mopar auto trans cooler.
Yup. How do I know? Cause I have a 2012 Auto (trans cooler comes already installed from factory) and installed the Mopar hood lock myself. The other plus, like I saw earlier, no more hood flutter AND most importantly you don't have to dick around with an extra set of keys.

Last edited by DJ1; 11-14-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Locking Hood Latches??? Any experience or suggestions?