Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking Hood Latches??? Any experience or suggestions?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rampage hood latches won't break the bank and its a pretty easy install. I've heard of people's locks freezing up though...time will tell. You can also keep them unlocked if you choose, but they will remain latched. My ex had a YJ and I remember walking out one morning to find that someone had tried to steal her battery overnight. Luckily they gave up on the bolt that held down the battery. That day forward, I thought it was dumb how a Jeep doesn't come with a locking hood.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8197IMG_8197.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	511132  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Junkie

I'm drawn to the rampage locks.....they aren't as loud (in appearance) as the rugged ridge or drake racing hood pin style.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburon
Mopar locking hood latch is pretty stout. It also is keyed to your ignition key. A little pricey but well worth it. Also eliminated hood flutter.

MOPAR 82213051 - MOPAR® Hood Lock for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
MOPAR hood lock....the best hands down and like Tiburon said, it's mated to your ignition key. I've had mine on for a year now. Love it.

It also has a sealed / gasket flap to keep the dirt out of the keyhole while you go mudding.

If you have a heavy duty rivet tool handy, that'll help. It took me less than 15 minutes to install.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Will the mopar hood lock still fit with an auto trans coolers? Specifically the mopar auto trans cooler.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tiburon
Mopar locking hood latch is pretty stout. It also is keyed to your ignition key. A little pricey but well worth it. Also eliminated hood flutter.

MOPAR 82213051 - MOPAR® Hood Lock for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I have this one too. Very happy with it! Mine is an automatic trans if that's the previous poster's question.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

How did you guys get those factory latches off? I can't get a wrench or socket on those little nuts. Did you have to remove a bunch of things?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spartacus_33
How did you guys get those factory latches off? I can't get a wrench or socket on those little nuts. Did you have to remove a bunch of things?
Videos work best for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh71LdQgXI4&feature=youtube_gdata_player Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got it. Had to take the power steering reservoir off the passenger side... had to take the Horn off the driver side.
TIGHT QUARTERS!!!

Last edited by spartacus_33; 11-13-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls

Videos work best for me

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh71LdQgXI4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
I think taking those 2 things off that I did would be easier than taking off the grill. Trust me... I did consider removing the grill. ;-)
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hide a key somewhere under your Jeep if you get lockable latches..

I had heard about Jks locking themselves while running before but always thought it was just someone doing something stupid and blaming their jeep..

It happened to me this weekend while I was airing up.. It was at freezing so I had the doors closed and windows up, jeep was running because I was airing up the tires and I hard the distinctive "clunk" of the doors locking while I was airing up..

With the hood unlocked and open I pulled a bunch of fuses and disconnected the battery. Luckily when I came back 2 hours later with a spare key it was still there. If I had hood locks I would have smashed a windows because I wouldnt have left a Jeep running on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: Locking Hood Latches??? Any experience or suggestions?