Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking fuel doors

Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking fuel doors

Anyone have experience with these? Do they need to be locked to stay closed or do they freeze up in the winter months?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel doors

Originally Posted by willygt78
Anyone have experience with these? Do they need to be locked to stay closed or do they freeze up in the winter months?
The doors that I have encountered with a lock are so primitive that they can be jimmied open. Another experience is the locking mechanism is so cheap that they do freeze. Better off with a non locking door and a locking gas cap. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On mine, it does have to be locked when closed because the key can only be removed from the lock in the locked position. Not crazy about that because that means I have to leave the key in the lock while refueling, or remove the key after opening and then re-insert the key to close. I live in FL so 50 degrees is freezing to me and my lock works stunningly.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Rugged Ridge locking fuel door and have not locked it in about a year. It has two magnets that hold it closed.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saharaharry
........ Better off with a non locking door and a locking gas cap. Hope this helps.
I use locking caps, they're cheap and do work for a good while --- I had to replace the cap twice, it locks fine for a few years, then the key rotates without locking.

I agree with SaharaHarry, the caps are better than the "cosmetic" fuel doors, just be aware that the caps will wear.

I have a non-locking Bestop brushed aluminum fuel door, and cap underneath

Last edited by westchester; 04-08-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I really dislike the inconveniences of having to deal with a locking cap or door cover. What is the concern we're trying to avoid? Someone stealing your gas? If that's the case, I say let them steal it because I rather deal with that, than deal with the lock every time I go to the pump. Or is it that you're concerned someone will put something that doesn't belong into your gas tank? Knock on wood, I haven't had to deal with that experience.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by willygt78
They're a pain in winter cheap little key and lock freezing up ... If you're going to buy one fab up a cover for the hole or something ..... I used mine one winter here in Canada then gave it away .... Don't use anything now
Old 04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locked down

I had mine freeze up in Chicago and had to use the heated key trick to open it. Shot a little WD-40 into it after that and never had any more problems. They're kind of a pain but since I travel a lot I have locking hood latches and wheel locks too.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Or is it that you're concerned someone will put something that doesn't belong into your gas tank?
This ^^^ Been a long time since I heard someone caught stealing gas, but adding is all too easy. Adding water, or pretty much any liquid is very quick to do. Our lifted Jeeps are noticeable, I don't want some xxxxhead disabling it.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
This ^^^ Been a long time since I heard someone caught stealing gas, but adding is all too easy. Adding water, or pretty much any liquid is very quick to do. Our lifted Jeeps are noticeable, I don't want some xxxxhead disabling it.
It was sugar in the old days, and I believe it still is. I don't have any enemies but I've seen videos of people who are just jealous or feel they are making a statement for the environment when doing dirty deeds.

Quick Reply: Locking fuel doors