Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lockers vs. bigger tires

Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eric1213
tires first
X2, put on some good mt/s and you will notice a world of difference
Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 AM
JK Jedi

I would do tires first, the stock tires on the X (either size) are the biggest limit off-road.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dude get the tires first
Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

NEW SHOES! GOTTA HAVE NEW SHOES!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Aired down 35" MTs would go a lot farther than street tires and lockers almost anywhere. Just get as CO2 tank to go with those MTs.
Offroad I rarely use my lockers with the Toyos only down to 14lb, less at lower pressures. When they are at 28lb (street pressure) for a quick offroad shortcut, I need the lockers more.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robicon
I was thinking more tire tread than tire size... You can get the same size tires if you want just make sure they have good tread, but as mentioned before it all depends on where you wheel. Personally i do everything but getting tired of cleaning mud and clay off of everything. I think i'm going for Toyo Open country when i buy new ones.

P.S. Are you regretting not buying a rubi yet??

Play now should be TIRES WITH TREAD... I drive a Rubi and hardly ever NEED to Lock up... plus remember you have brake assist as mentioned before. You will be MUCH happier wheeling with better tires now and getting lockers later.

EDIT: re-read your origninal question... don't jump into 35's unless you got like 5 G's to put into it all or you will be dissapointed. Get some decent 33" tires with good tread and have some fun. Especially if you dident get tow package with 4.10 gears in diffs

Its all debatable but for 35"s you SHOULD get 4" lift which opens a whole new can of worms... if you want or are crazy enough, you can put a spacer or BB on plus a BL then cut the hell out of your fenders (search fender Chop) and you'll be good, but you still need gears. To do it "right" you need 4" lift, new driveshafts, Front Lower & Rear upper control arms (as a minimum), plus adj. trackbar front (& rear prefferred), and Gears... you'll want gears either way especially with an auto. Get a programmer for bigger tires... the list just keeps going.

To keep it affordable, Get some 33" tires with Tread and have some fun
My 35's work great with a 2.5" BB and wheels with backspacing. You don't have to regear right away, nor do you need a 4" lift or a BL.

I've gotten over stuff unlocked with my 35's that people with 33's and lockers couldn't get over. To the OP, I'd definitely reccomend the largest rubber you can fit/afford.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definetly tires first lockers are way over rated. Dont get me wrong lockers are nice but you wont need them unless your going on some super extreme trails. I wheel my x almost every weekend and have never had a problem without lockers.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
These Jeeps have what's called brake lock differential, or BLD that's tied in with the ESP system. The BLD works through the ABS system using the brakes to mimic a limited slip differential. When the system senses wheel slip, that side brake is applied to hold that wheel at the same speed as the wheel with traction, so all of the power will not be lost to the spinning wheel. It actually works pretty well. That being the case, "I" would go with the tires first, since in essence, you already have a form of traction aid at the wheels in the form of BLD.

What he sed. TIRES!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

Your stock JK is pretty awesome with a decent tire and a few inches of lift. Do that... then judge for yourself... I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Then you will probably go with solid bumpers and a winch before lockers... Just my opinion..
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

For sure tires!! No contest on which one to go with. I am waiting for my mickey thompsons to come in so i can mount them on my new black rock 17x9.

The factory x tires really suck!!!!

Quick Reply: Lockers vs. bigger tires