Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lockers vs. bigger tires

Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll engage by itself with no help. After tires the second best traction device is a winch.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riddle me this? Why bother locking tires that won't grip anything??

Tires definately make a HUGE difference. If your going in mud get some that will self clean. My old TJ sport had the stock tires and was like driving with racing slicks on in the mud, Even with a LSD on the rear it sucked donkey balls for mud. Go with tires, even though they will wear out eventually, you will be very happy even with a slightly used set of Rubi tires. Trust me
Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

play now,then get the tires
play later,then get the lockers
if you cant get over the object with groung clearence, (tires)
you wont be getting over it with lockers
imo,i would get the tires and play now a little and play a little harder when you get the lockers
GOOD LUCK
Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

tires first
Old 06-20-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

I would go with the lockers first. I would rather have lockers and smaller tires than no lockers and bigger tires. I think bigger tires are way over rated IMO.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
I would go with the lockers first. I would rather have lockers and smaller tires than no lockers and bigger tires. I think bigger tires are way over rated IMO.
You've obviously never driven a JK with the stock 16" steel wheels and street tires....by far the most uncomfortable feeling ever. First thing I did was buy brand new Rubicon takeoffs from my dealer for $125 a piece.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

well i have no clue where wildomar is if it has mud or if it has rock crawling
the sras are ok in some sand in some mud as long as it just to cross not to like sling mud
if u do rocks the i would go with the lockers the tires will grip a rock with lockers but there no point in getting lockers if u just play in the mud if the tires wont grip the mud anyways why buy something that wont help

go with the bigger tires if u play in sand in mud
go with lockers if u rock crawl telling us about ur terrain would have helped us out a lil bit
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 35'ws Firt

I would go with 35's first. I have an X and it is very capable without lockers. Tires make a big difference.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

I was thinking more tire tread than tire size... You can get the same size tires if you want just make sure they have good tread, but as mentioned before it all depends on where you wheel. Personally i do everything but getting tired of cleaning mud and clay off of everything. I think i'm going for Toyo Open country when i buy new ones.

P.S. Are you regretting not buying a rubi yet??

Play now should be TIRES WITH TREAD... I drive a Rubi and hardly ever NEED to Lock up... plus remember you have brake assist as mentioned before. You will be MUCH happier wheeling with better tires now and getting lockers later.

EDIT: re-read your origninal question... don't jump into 35's unless you got like 5 G's to put into it all or you will be dissapointed. Get some decent 33" tires with good tread and have some fun. Especially if you dident get tow package with 4.10 gears in diffs

Its all debatable but for 35"s you SHOULD get 4" lift which opens a whole new can of worms... if you want or are crazy enough, you can put a spacer or BB on plus a BL then cut the hell out of your fenders (search fender Chop) and you'll be good, but you still need gears. To do it "right" you need 4" lift, new driveshafts, Front Lower & Rear upper control arms (as a minimum), plus adj. trackbar front (& rear prefferred), and Gears... you'll want gears either way especially with an auto. Get a programmer for bigger tires... the list just keeps going.

To keep it affordable, Get some 33" tires with Tread and have some fun

Last edited by Robicon; 06-20-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just know that if you go with bigger tires you are opening Pandora’s Box. In order to run bigger tires you need to lift it, in order to power the new tires you will probably also want to regear. Larger tires are too heavy for the tailgate so you will also need to replace your rear bumper with one that includes a tire carrier. Oh, did I also mention replacing the drive shafts?

I guess it depends on what you are running now, if they are AT you may want to go with tires first... just know what you are starting.

Quick Reply: Lockers vs. bigger tires