Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lockers vs. bigger tires

Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockers vs. bigger tires

what helps an X better? getting front and rear lockers OR going to 35's? I'm saying if you could only do one of those mods. And yes the purpose is for off-roading.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tires give you best bang for your buck in terms of increasing the off-road ability of your vehicle.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are still running the srock X tires, I would get the tires first.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only have the money for one I say go for the lockers. They are the single greatest traction aiding device you can get.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

IMO this is a loaded question because if you are running stock street tires lockers will give you better traction but they will not live up to there full potential. If you have A/T tires already I would say go for the lockers. If I were in your shoes go with tires and do an Aussie locker up front they are only about 300. That will give you the best of both worlds.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These Jeeps have what's called brake lock differential, or BLD that's tied in with the ESP system. The BLD works through the ABS system using the brakes to mimic a limited slip differential. When the system senses wheel slip, that side brake is applied to hold that wheel at the same speed as the wheel with traction, so all of the power will not be lost to the spinning wheel. It actually works pretty well. That being the case, "I" would go with the tires first, since in essence, you already have a form of traction aid at the wheels in the form of BLD.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

From my experience wheeling with my brother-in-law who has a stock X, tires limit his off-road capability more than not having lockers.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

The lockers will last the life of the Jeep. Tires are only temporary. I would get the lockers first, seems like a better value. Although they won't look as cool as new shoes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Larger tires will help you roll over more things than the stock tire size. The BLD like Redneck explained is a very good system. Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would do tires first because of the BLD. WOL mentioned that if you pull on your hand brake 2-3 clicks it will engage it. I never tried it cause I have a rubicon but give it a go.

Quick Reply: Lockers vs. bigger tires