Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lockers for stock rear D44 w/ 5.13 gears

Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lockers for stock rear D44 w/ 5.13 gears

Looking to put a locker in my rear dana 44 axle with 5.13 gears. Elocker, Detroit Locker, and ARB Airlocker seem to be the options available. What is the best option?
I've heard great things about the ARB airlocker, but how do you engage it? Do you have to hop out with your compressor everytime you want to lock it? I don't know the engineering mechanics of each of these systems and what additional things I'll need to purchase with them (compressors, switches, etc...)

Someone please educate me on the options and how each one functions/engages!

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With an air locker you need to install an air compressor to engage it. I would go with an e-locker. 12 volts to a toggle switch.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rich!

Looking for more inputs and observations.

Lunch bump
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an ARB airlocker put in mine last year. I also installed their compressor under the hood. It is a great setup, and also convienient to have a coompressor to air back up. An electric locker would have been easier and cheaper to install, but the Eaton unit only has 2 spider gears and the ARB has 4. I personally have not used the Eaton or seen one fail, but figured the cost difference was worth it for a stronger unit and having on demand air.

I did install a Rubi front end with the e-locker and it works flawlessly. It is a 4 spider unit though.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

The "best", the most reliable and strongest is the ARB.

But Detroit is also a good option and unless you do crazy hard trails, will be all you need.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

I have fr/rr ARB lockers on my TJ for years, no problem at all, very robust and on and off when you want it (instead of the annoying unloading of your tires with auto lockers) I should have gone for ARB lockers on my JK with I regeared her last week, unfortunately decided against..

Quick Reply: Lockers for stock rear D44 w/ 5.13 gears