Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lockers

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Any re gear will affect the crawl ratio. By how much is a question for the mathematicians on here. But it depends on your transmission, transfer case and diff gearing.

Front and rear diff ratios should be the same.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GetLost
Update on the locker question;does the re-gear choice effect the crawl ratio? Or not enough to consider between 4.56/4.88? Also, how do you know what the front axle gear is?(have D30F/D44R)& if you re-gear is the front done as well?Thank you for the link to lockers 101, gonna get me an edgeamcation on 'um=-O
Regearing doesn't make a huge difference in 4 Low. To get lower range the transfer case (Atlas or Rubicon) swap will get you what you want, especially with a 6 speed.

Easiest way to find out what your stock gear ratio is: call the dealership and provide VIN to service department.

Front & rear are required to have same ratio.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all for the info. Think I'll go for the 4.88 w/ARB Selectable lockers. Was gonna get Eaton f/r but sounds like the rear D44 is weak. Happy trails!!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Mark-great video!:-) I live in Oklahoma; so I'm gonna have to find those mountains. At the min. I would have to put the detroit truetrac LSD on the fr.D30. Might as well-since the front gear change anyways. Thanx again..
Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Think I'll go for the 4.88 w/ARB Selectable lockers.
At the min. I would have to put the detroit truetrac LSD on the fr.D30.
It can be a tough decision. Put some thought into deciding if you will have tires in the air and actually 'need' full lockers.

You can usually find the d30 truetrac for under $375. Great alternative for these front d30's - sure beats dumping $1500-ish into a d30 arb. (locker, plus the air source, plus the extra install/labor to run the lines and switches).
Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok-now I'm thinkin'**how bout the truetrac on the Frnt.D30 & a E-locker on Rr.D44? W/4.88 gears. Would save some coin & still have GOOD capable rig?? No?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Think I'll go for the 4.88 w/ARB Selectable lockers.
At the min. I would have to put the detroit truetrac LSD on the fr.D30.
Ok-now I'm thinkin'**how bout the truetrac on the Frnt.D30 & a E-locker on Rr.D44
Would save some coin & still have GOOD capable rig??
Lol. You have a good, capable rig now, without any extra traction devices. You'll have a better, more capable rig with a pair of arb's. You'll have a better, more capable rig with a pair of e-lockers. And guess what? You'll have a better, more capable rig with a pair of truetracs, just without the need to stop and decide when to turn the lockers on and off.

If you don't spend a lot of time with tires in the air, you don't 'need' thousand dollar selectable lockers. But it sounds like you have talked yourself into 'wanting' thousand dollar selectable lockers, so go for it. Electric is a great setup, no added costs for compressors or worries about air lines, and more than likely, the rear 2pin design (compared to arb's 4pin) won't ever be an issue for you. If you think a mounted air compressor would come in handy, spend a little extra and go for arb's. Or, do some reading on the OX locker, since you can run your choice of cable, air, or electric actuation.

Read post 11 in this one. The rest of the thread has good info, but I like the story in post 11 and agree with the statement in bold print.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ffroad-188018/
Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the thread link;that is a good point about the "need" for actual lockers. Do have to consider the type of use for my rig. Would rather have a little more capable & not need it, than wish I had it w/up against the unexpected.:-! Kinda why I was thinking of the last set-up. Thanks for yur help* nthinuf "JK Jedi"B-)
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah; just like he said!!

Quick Reply: lockers