Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lockers

Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
Yes, they are completely locked when engaged.
Thanks for answering my question. At least someone saw it. As for my other response, I apologize if I am wrong, but ALL of my experience in the past, INCLUDING some Jeeps has shown that a full spool in the front (which is what you are saying the E Locker is engaged) makes steering all but useless. That was my only point about using an LSD instead of a locker. My info could well be outdated as I was working on this stuff perhaps before some of you were born. My original intent was only to try to provide some information...no matter how wrong some think it turned out to be. On anything but harsh rock crawling, I stick to my guns about a good LSD unit.....in the front anyway.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put am aussie locker in front axle 2 weeks ago, I don't even notice it's there on the street. Haven't got it offroad yet.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJu0ZULs5Q

I have the stock limited slip with traction control int he rear, and an Aussie locker in the front. Even I am shocked at where I can go with this set up.

An Aussie locker is a great unit comparable to a Detroit, is very inexpensive and fairly easy to install for a do it your selfer.

I would go with a locker in the front and save the rear for when the stock unit goes out.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Thanks for answering my question. At least someone saw it. As for my other response, I apologize if I am wrong, but ALL of my experience in the past, INCLUDING some Jeeps has shown that a full spool in the front (which is what you are saying the E Locker is engaged) makes steering all but useless. That was my only point about using an LSD instead of a locker. My info could well be outdated as I was working on this stuff perhaps before some of you were born. My original intent was only to try to provide some information...no matter how wrong some think it turned out to be. On anything but harsh rock crawling, I stick to my guns about a good LSD unit.....in the front anyway.
for practical purposes, a lsd with out electronic traction cotnrol is not that useful as it requires too much wheel spin to get the limited slip to kick in, and then it is not really locked. IT all depends on when you are doing off road, but for rock crawling and wheel raising slow going like I do, a LSD alone would not be that useful, although I am surprised at the capsbilties of my stock LSD with traction control.

Like my previous response, an Aussie, or Detroit allows for some movement in a turn. A selectable locker you can disengage. With my Aussie locker I notice a difference in steering when 4wd is engaged but at that point I usually dont really need 4wd. the steering is not really that bad, and if you know it you can drive accordingly.

The experience from most off roaders is that LSD are good for on road traction or dirt roads, but for any kind of wheel raising action, lockers are a must.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJu0ZULs5Q

I have the stock limited slip with traction control int he rear, and an Aussie locker in the front. Even I am shocked at where I can go with this set up.

An Aussie locker is a great unit comparable to a Detroit, is very inexpensive and fairly easy to install for a do it your selfer.

I would go with a locker in the front and save the rear for when the stock unit goes out.
That's a good unit. The same as a PowerTrax. Same principle as a Detroit Locker. I bet it works good. Sure looks like it.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by seer1
I'm gonna agree and disagree with you. I'd like to keep it courteous as you're in my neck of the woods over here and I hope to meet you on the trail someday.

First I see you're driving a Rubi which says you have no experience with the new Jeep LSD. Combined with the Brake Lock, it's very effective. I frequently challenge my riding partners with their TJ Rubi's and can conquer everything they can with just my rear limited slip. It pisses them off to see me go up after waiting for them to stop and switch on their lockers. This did not used to be the case with the TJ LSD so you are forgiven for giving old advice, but don't disrespect the the JK LSD until you've actually experienced it. (BTW I do have a front ARB/D44/Superior gears and axles on order.)

Now as far as wasting someone's time with an opinion and no facts to back it up? You're spot on Bud
You are certainly correct on the new LSD, I have not experienced it. I did pull the one out of my TJ and replaced it with a detroit, and the difference was night and day. And I used to "set" that LSD with the parking brake, similar to what you are discussing. I'm sure I'll rile the TJ owners, but I'm pretty certain that you can run with TJ rubis due to your wheelbase & articulation as much as anything else. I think that if you installed a rear locker, you'd definitely notice a difference.

It's been my experience many times over that the best bang for the buck is an Aussie locker up front. It's transparent in 2wd, and incredibly effective in 4wd. All for a couple hundred bucks and a couple hours. Sure, selectables are the way to go if you have the cash, but a JK with aggressive tires and a lunchbox locker is a pretty formidable machine.

Redneck Jeep, sorry, clearly I stepped on your toes. Diplomacy just ain't my strong suit...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Eugene the jeep
Redneck Jeep, sorry, clearly I stepped on your toes. Diplomacy just ain't my strong suit...
Don't sweat it. I usually say the first thing that comes to mind, too.

Back to the topic...according to the Northridge site, the aussie locker "hasn't been tested on the JK". So, I am assuming from the folks sayin they have them that they fit and work?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
...according to the Northridge site, the aussie locker "hasn't been tested on the JK". So, I am assuming from the folks sayin they have them that they fit and work?
They will work in the D30, but not the new 44.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renegade
They will work in the D30, but not the new 44.
I don't know that anyone has tried in an open D44 yet. The X and Sahara's are 30-spline.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the posts on this. I'm thinking about getting lockers and this thread has been a big help. Keep them coming.

Quick Reply: lockers