Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lockers

Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I've not worked with any of the "air" or "electric" lockers yet. ...I think the best thing for the front will probably be that truetrac unit. I've done a lot of reading on it and it seems to be the best.
Oh, well since you've read about it...
Actually I think the ideal setup would be a selectable automatic locker. Since those don't seem to exist, it has been my experience that a selectable locker is the best thing going.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
Oh, well since you've read about it...
Actually I think the ideal setup would be a selectable automatic locker. Since those don't seem to exist, it has been my experience that a selectable locker is the best thing going.
Why? A "locker" is exactly what it implies. It LOCKS, and becomes a spool. You cannot steer with a spool. Even if it was automatic, you still cannot steer while it is engaged. A clutch type posi or the truetrack, in my opinion would be better for the front. You're quick to make fun of my "reading" about something, yet you did not even address the rest of my question. Since that is the only experience I have had with those types units, it is what I gave.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

I've not worked with any of the "air" or "electric" lockers yet. My question would be this. When locked, it seemw to me they would basically be a spool. Is that correct? If so, then I would never recommend one in the front. That would not make steering difficult but damn near imposible. We used to run spools on the fronts of some of our mud trucks years ago and just lock the side that needed traction. When you lock both sides, the steering wheel becomes a mute point. I think the best thing for the front will probably be that truetrac unit. I've done a lot of reading on it and it seems to be the best.
The Eaton E-Locker, ARB, and Ox are all open differentials when not engaged. You can't get more transparent than that in the steering axle.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Blue
The Eaton E-Locker, ARB, and Ox are all open differentials when not engaged. You can't get more transparent than that in the steering axle.
I understand that completely. What I am saying is that often times, some power to both wheels is needed while in a turn. Seems to me, a locker would be useless then, as they lock completely, making steering all but impossible. I would use the locker in the rear, and some sort of limited slip unit in the front.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Why? A "locker" is exactly what it implies. It LOCKS, and becomes a spool. You cannot steer with a spool. Even if it was automatic, you still cannot steer while it is engaged. A clutch type posi or the truetrack, in my opinion would be better for the front. You're quick to make fun of my "reading" about something, yet you did not even address the rest of my question. Since that is the only experience I have had with those types units, it is what I gave.
There's nothing wrong with reading up on a subject, I just think that it is a little inapropriate to throw out suggestions on a subject with which you have no actual experience. You can still steer with a selectable locker, just not as well as with an open dif (sloppy mud may be an exception to this, but I have learned to HATE mud). The simple solution is to disengage the locker at all times except when it is necessary to get over an obstacle. Even an automatic locker like a Detroit will make it hard to steer. That's one of the reasons why people like twin-stick transfer cases. A clutch-type posi or a Truetrac will never fully lock, which is not ideal when rock crawling.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that completely. What I am saying is that often times, some power to both wheels is needed while in a turn. Seems to me, a locker would be useless then, as they lock completely, making steering all but impossible. I would use the locker in the rear, and some sort of limited slip unit in the front.
Not to start a flame war, but I don't think you know what you are talking about. Steering is certainly possible with a locker on the front, I've personally done it for decades. In some cases without power steering.

An LSD, however, is worth it's weight in crap on anything but the most tame of trails, with both wheels on the ground, enough so that I (and the majority of wheelers that run decent trails) wouldn't install one if given it for free. Not worth the bother.

If you are going to give advice, at least give it on something you know. It simply doesn't matter how it "seems" to you. Don't waste someone's time when they ask for some genuine help.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rubi with both lockers and i use them quite often. Especially in deep snow/mud. The front can be difficult to turn at times but it is not impossible and if you have a problem making a turn just disengage it. I usually disengage my front when turning around but on applications where there is alot of slipage like snow it does not seem to be a problem. Just my opinion. I have not done alot of rock crawling yet as everything is still covered in snow.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Eugene the jeep
Not to start a flame war, but I don't think you know what you are talking about. Steering is certainly possible with a locker on the front, I've personally done it for decades. In some cases without power steering.

An LSD, however, is worth it's weight in crap on anything but the most tame of trails, with both wheels on the ground, enough so that I (and the majority of wheelers that run decent trails) wouldn't install one if given it for free. Not worth the bother.

If you are going to give advice, at least give it on something you know. It simply doesn't matter how it "seems" to you. Don't waste someone's time when they ask for some genuine help.

Ok, I very well might not, and I have SAID that several times. (As "I have only read...") I can say this much for SURE. A full spool in the front makes it DAMN near impossible to steer. I've used spools in the front ALOT. That's what I was basing my opinion on. Also, NO ONE has ever answered my question. Do the air and electric locker completely lock like a spool? Since you say that there IS some steering to be had with them, then the answer has to be no, they do not lock completely. No need to worry about flaming. I can take it. I was just trying to find out how the hell these things work and none of you seems to know....or will answer. Lastly, I wasn't trying to give advice more than I was asking a question...one that no one seems to know the answer to. I also said EVERY time that it was my opinion. MY opinion. Not yours or anybody else's. I didn't see anybody else jumpin in to try to help. Yall need to remember before you go tellin somebody that they don't know what they're talking about, not everything works the same for everybody. Different people do things different ways. All I was trying to do was get some goddamn clarification on something that I KNOW I didn't know about. See? I ALREADY knew and ADMITTED I didn't know about them. I had only READ about them. Instead of trying to bash someone, How enlightening them by answering their frikkin question? If this is how yall are gonna be, fuck it. Yall can HAVE this site. I was just trying to help AND learn something new. I thought that's what this place was for.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-20-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Eugene the jeep

I'm gonna agree and disagree with you. I'd like to keep it courteous as you're in my neck of the woods over here and I hope to meet you on the trail someday.

First I see you're driving a Rubi which says you have no experience with the new Jeep LSD. Combined with the Brake Lock, it's very effective. I frequently challenge my riding partners with their TJ Rubi's and can conquer everything they can with just my rear limited slip. It pisses them off to see me go up after waiting for them to stop and switch on their lockers. This did not used to be the case with the TJ LSD so you are forgiven for giving old advice, but don't disrespect the the JK LSD until you've actually experienced it. (BTW I do have a front ARB/D44/Superior gears and axles on order.)

Now as far as wasting someone's time with an opinion and no facts to back it up? You're spot on Bud

Last edited by seer1; 03-20-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

...ever answered my question. Do the air and electric locker completely lock like a spool?
Yes, they are completely locked when engaged.

Quick Reply: lockers