Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lockers

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lockers

I want to install an ARB airlocker and I have had mixed advice on whether I should install it in the front or rear . I would like to get your thoughts on which would be the best value.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you already have the limited slip D44 in the rear?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Former Vendor

It's been my experience that having the locking capability in the front has the most benefit. That doesn't mean there's no value in having it in the rear too. It's the benefit of more pulling traction vs. pushing traction. One thing to keep in mind is that while locked in the front your steering will be difficult. You don't have that problem when locked in the rear.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The front/rear question on lockers has been discussed, and mostly settled...

Old school says do the rear first, because front locked is difficult to steer...and that's pretty much the argument.

The air locker of course lets you unlock, steer, and re-lock.

The ONLY thing lockers DO to add traction, is make the tires keep turning, so hanging one doesn't stall your progress like an open diff would (One slips, the other tire just stops to laugh at it, and you get no traction from either tire, etc...)

So - A locker makes the tires keep turning...even if the other ones slips, hangs in the air, etc....so you keep getting pushed/pulled along.

As the front end is more LIKELY to slip than the rear, especially on an uphill climb, etc...the front benefits the most from a locker.

Tucker for thought:

Your screen name is Aussie....and, there's a locker called an Aussie Locker....that can go into the D30 upfront.

It is not selectable like an ARB...BUT, its designed to let the outside tire go FASTER than the inside tire, WITHOUT slowing the speed of the inside tire...which means, its easier to STEER...as it lets you differentiate on turns w/o a loss in traction, as you'd have with an ARB turned OFF for a turn, or, like a Detroit, etc...which NEVER lets the outside tire go faster, etc.

So - for $250 or so, DELIVERED from Northridge 4x4 for example, you could install a front Aussie Locker, in your driveway, in a couple of hours (No gear set up...it just drops in...)...and save the compressor install, and the diff set ups, and so forth (And the $) on a front ARB set-up.

Just thought I'd throw that out as an option.

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-07-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Standard opinion on this topic is REAR FIRST. Particularily if you have a selectible.

The reason has to do with weight transfer. When climbing steep angles most of the weight is on the rear of the Jeep and that locker will do a lot more for you than your front end, which is unloaded.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

how about learn to wheel with open diffs before you get in trouble with lockers.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by montejeep01
how about learn to wheel with open diffs before you get in trouble with lockers.
Now what fun would that be?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

aussie,
You're getting the typical "it depends" answers - good ones, but based on their own experience most likely.

Can you give some more info on your terrain, intended use? Are you mostly on dirt? Is it level, or steep hills? Is it loose, or hard packed. Are you encountering large rocks (by large I mean at least 1.5 feet tall and up)? Or, are you seeing muddy bogs? Is that watery mud, or is it dryish, sticky, gluey clay mud? Are there rock in the mud?

To me (admitting this is subjective), these questions will direct you to your locker answer.

In short, for big rocks, do a front locker like Teej suggests. You'll crawl over instead of bang into the rocks.

For frequent steep hill climbs where you get part of the way up now, then spin, get a rear locker since so much of the weight comes off the front tires anyway. In steep situations, where your breaking loose at the rear with one tire, a rear locker will work wonders.

For deep mud, the front may be the best if it's thick, but watery because your level and alot of weight is up front AND you'll minimize understeer (a rear locker may push you forward, not allowing you to turn). If the mud is stick clay, you may need the momentum that a rear lock can give you.

I struggle with this same question as I have a rear limited slip that's known for not limiting slip that much. Plus, I'm not in big rocks (Johnson Valley) anymore - it's mountain trails mostly. Because I'll see more deep snow, I just may go front locker first to help keep me on top of it and steer.

I can tell you my Detroits are simply amazing in the CJ. The front tires will actually crawl up a verticle wall and keep going! The rear locker allows me to crawl up hills that others may have to sprint up. But, on loose gravel over hardpack, the rear tends to push the Jeep straight ahead - even when turning the steering wheel. I was lucky enough to have the Curry Twin Stick that allowed me to disengage either axle. It gave me some options. The ARB will do something similar which is cool.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

I used to believe that a rear locker was more beneficial, as I have done that one first in several Jeeps. With my Unlimited I did the front first via the Rubicon front axle. After wheeling with it for a while, I believe that with the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited it is more beneficial in the front. My $.02.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've not worked with any of the "air" or "electric" lockers yet. My question would be this. When locked, it seemw to me they would basically be a spool. Is that correct? If so, then I would never recommend one in the front. That would not make steering difficult but damn near imposible. We used to run spools on the fronts of some of our mud trucks years ago and just lock the side that needed traction. When you lock both sides, the steering wheel becomes a mute point. I think the best thing for the front will probably be that truetrac unit. I've done a lot of reading on it and it seems to be the best.

Quick Reply: lockers