Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lockers?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dillUSMC
i have a question about lockers since were on the topic, wouldnt it be better to have a locker up front since those are the wheels u steer with, seems like itd be better for mud and rockcrawling
My choice would be rear if you only do one. It seems that most of the time you need a locker, you will be going uphill. This puts a lot more of the vehicle weight on the rear axle, and a lot less on the front, right? So even locked, the front may not have enough weight on it to gain traction. And then there is the consideration of a d30 up front and a d44 in back. I would much rather lock a 44 than a 30.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, If I understand this correctly, in 4 wheel drive, you could potentially only have one wheel on each axle getting power, and it's the one with the least resistance so potentially the ones that are slipping or in the air? So with out lsd or lockers you could just be 2wd even in 4wd.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TJM12
So, If I understand this correctly, in 4 wheel drive, you could potentially only have one wheel on each axle getting power, and it's the one with the least resistance so potentially the ones that are slipping or in the air? So with out lsd or lockers you could just be 2wd even in 4wd.
The JK has some electronic goodies that will apply brake pressure in that instance, which will give enough resistance to transfer a little power to the tire that does have traction. Better than just open diffs, but not as good as a limited slip.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf

The JK has some electronic goodies that will apply brake pressure in that instance, which will give enough resistance to transfer a little power to the tire that does have traction. Better than just open diffs, but not as good as a limited slip.
Is that the esp?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

BLD - brake lock differential

There is a link in this one that will take you to an explanation on the chrysler website.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...tial-Operation
Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Based on my reading and research this afternoon with all your help, I think LSD seems like it would be best for most situations except the most difficult off road situations which even then would be better than an open diff?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on my reading and research this afternoon with all your help, I think LSD seems like it would be best for most situations except the most difficult off road situations which even then would be better than an open diff?
Yes. Lockers are really just for folks who off-road a fair amount, and want to be able to handle challenging obstacles. If you're not off-roading fairly frequently and the $2000 for a pair of selectable lockers is money that you'd rather use elesewhere, lockers are probably not a wise spot to spend your money.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is correct except an LSD will act like an open diff if 1 tire has zero traction. You may be able to apply some brake and get some traction to the tire on the ground but that won't work in every case. A true locker is your best bet.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac

This is correct except an LSD will act like an open diff if 1 tire has zero traction. You may be able to apply some brake and get some traction to the tire on the ground but that won't work in every case. A true locker is your best bet.
Well, that is something to think about? I wonder if a lsd up front and a locker in back would be best for me? I would have alot more capability on and off road compared to stock. It's funny the more you get into all this, the more I realize I shoulda just bought the rubicon!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that is something to think about? I wonder if a lsd up front and a locker in back would be best for me? I would have alot more capability on and off road compared to stock. It's funny the more you get into all this, the more I realize I shoulda just bought the rubicon!
Someting to be said for a Rubi, but lockers really don't work in snow.

If I was living in the north country still that is how I would set up

Quick Reply: Lockers?