Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lockers?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepNoob10
your sig. is awsome
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really want to understand how an open differential works, check this video. It's from the 30's but it provides the clearest explanation I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em1zQToa_a8
Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I assume they don't, but do lockers and LSD work together? Not like at the same time, but I have LSD now, if I installed lockers I'd get front lockers for sure, but I'd much rather have LSD on the rear then lockers if I had to choose just because it's my DD. Could I have both?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Living in Ct as you do, I would steer clear of Aussie/Detroit lockers which are full time. Lockers are tricky in snow and ice, and you get your fair share. The rear end will want to slide out constantly. I know, I lived in Mansfield.

Go with a selectable locker or LSD. LSD is not as good on the trails, but better on the street in snowy/icy conditions. I had a CJ7 with LSDs front and rear and it was a beast in the snow. Pick what you need for your conditions and driving needs.

And your shop is right, when they have everything apart to do the gears is the time to install.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

i have a question about lockers since were on the topic, wouldnt it be better to have a locker up front since those are the wheels u steer with, seems like itd be better for mud and rockcrawling
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Auburn gear makes an Exted MAXX for the rear D44, which is an LSD when not locked. Have not seen anyone use it so am leary.

Other than that, it's LSDs or lockers in a given diff. If I were to move back north again, would probably do an LSD front and selectable rear.

When i did my CJ I reasoned that I get out maybe a dozen, maybe 15 times a year wheeling. But snow and ice fall much more often than that.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

factory is rear lsd, open front right? if you have the ls? glad to hear ls is the way to go, i almost wonder if i ever get around to regearing if its even worth it to spend the money on putting anything in the front
Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I had LS in front on my CJ7, it was simply point the wheels the direction you wanted to go in the snow and hit the gas. I think LS gets a bum rap as people have not driven it in the snow, just on trails. Subarus are LS front and rear and they go pretty good in snow.

The factory LS is just rear if you have it. Replacing mine with a locker soon. And front locker too, but this is Arkansas. If I was up by Canada still would be LS front.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Well, if you plan on doing more wheeling around MA and New England, the rear locker is better than LS. If I remember correctly, that was you that had that minor issue on the hill in Huntington? If you had rear lockers, I bet your tires wouldn't have pushed you over that way since both tires would have been spinning together (although I have only seen the video from inside so maybe it was just a bad path you took??)
yeah i wish i had some video or someone watching what had happened, i have no idea. im probably going to get new tires way before i regear, so I'm sure ill get a few more wheeling adventures to decide what it is i really need. but having advice for when i get around to shopping is always good.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
If they are not actived by air or electronically and you got stuck in say mud, would you have to get out and under your rig and lock them? Seems like it would not be practical if you were stuck in a mudhole.
There is a link above to a Locker 101 by Dynatrac. Spend a few minutes reading through it.

But to answer your question ... No. You will not get out to activate anything.

Selectable Lockers - Actuated by Air, Cable, or Electric. (ARB, eaton e-locker, factory rubicon e-locker, ected, which is a special case, Ox locker, etc). They act as an open differential (no locker) until you push the button. Once pushed, the locker engages and does its job. Generally around $900 +/- each, plus the air source and install, or cable install, or having the electric lines run.

Auto Locker - These are always working, you can't turn them off. They have less parts to break, but in areas that get winter weather, this makes them not the best option. These are broken down into two types: Lunchbox lockers, which are very inexpensive and fit inside your stock carrier. (Aussie, Lockright, etc) And Full Case, which replace the stock carrier and are much stronger. (Detroit, etc.) Lunchboxes are around $250, Full Case maybe $600-$700?

Limited Slip - these are somewhere between an open differential and a locker. They give less benefit than a full locker when off-road, but are much more user friendly on-road. The detriot TrueTrac is the one you want in this category. Great option for those that don't spend a lot of time with wheels in the air. Front d30, $375ish, rear d44 around $450ish.

Again, you will pick up more info in the 101, but my picks would be ARB, Detroit and TrueTrac in their respective categories.

Quick Reply: Lockers?