Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker won't lock, I don't know why.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locker won't lock, I don't know why.

I have a 2010 with Dynatrac 44 in the front with ARB lockers. I did buy it used, but it worked when the shop replaced the gears. I can hear the air filling the locker, but no joy. When I am locked, I cannot turn the tires while sitting still. I can now. I was unable to get over some small rocks today. I have 37 inch tires with pressure of 15 lbs.

Normally, when the air leaks, my pump kicks on to try and fill the locker again. This is not happening. I don't think it is an air leak.

Any ideas?

The dude that sold me the axles screwed me pretty bad. The teeth were all chipped out and he spun the bearings. Rodriguez Customs in Arvada, CO; avoid him like the plague. So, I hired shop to change my axle housing and regear. I only used it on simple stuff so I have no idea if the locker every worked.

How do I fix this?

I am so frustrated. I do not know how to do the work myself, so I am forced to trust others, and pay them.

Thanks a lot,
John
Old 06-10-2018, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Damn, that's terrible. I hope you contacted your bank and canceled the payment? You didn't get what was advertised and essentially paid for 2 axles.

As for your locker issue...the chipped gears make me think the locker grenaded due to his negligence. I have e-lockers so I'm not too knowledgable on air lockers, but this thread might help you diagnose: ARB not engaging. No leaks. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

So, it sounds like after regearing and changing things, the locker worked. Now, it has randomly stopped working (based on your description). Have you crawled under there to confirm that the air line isn't kinked somewhere? It would be the opposite of a leak letting air escape and keeping your compressor running. You could have a kink preventing the air from even reaching the locker. It's probably wishful thinking, but at least it's free to crawl under there an inspect.

I have e-lockers like Bora Bora, so not 100% certain, but you can disconnect the air line at the diff can't you? I believe everything from the diff connection internally is copper line? If you can disconnect at the diff and verify the compressor is pushing air through, then it has to indeed be an internal issue.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I never gave it a thought to trace my air line. Now I am excited. Although I doubt that is the issue, I am hopeful. Yes, I can disconnect the air line and see if that is the issue. When I get home tonight, I will give it a try. Fingers crossed.

Next Friday I am taking it back the shop that has been working on it. I have to have the thousand mile diff fluid changed and they are going to take a look at it, at that time. They said on the phone that it might be a blocked air line with oil in it. He said that happens once in a while.

As for stopping payment. The guy who I originally bought the stuff from was my neighbor, he later opened up Rodriquez Customs in Arvada a month later. I trusted him as he was recommended to me and the dude is such a smooth talker. I am just screwed. It would have been the same price or cheaper if I would have done completely brand new everything. I learned the hard way.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by prelucir
I learned the hard way.
Sux, but it happens sometimes. I've learned plenty the hard way myself. Those lessons sure stick with you.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
It would have been the same price or cheaper if I would have done completely brand new everything. I learned the hard way.
Most of these situations end up being a pay once, cry once deal. Yes, it sucks, but so does spending and spending and spending to make up for money you "saved."

You could check your air system on both ends if you have some free time. Disconnect the line and see if you're getting air through the solenoid to the compressor first, then pressurize the locker side, which you could do with a few fittings, a piece of spaghetti line, and a schrader valve. You could even add a gauge and see if it holds pressure. Pump it up and listen for leaks. Chances are it's an easy fix and something that is being overlooked. I had an issue with a switch that was looking like a locker/air system/solenoid problem, and it was a sporadic issue which was more frustrating to chase.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Last night I pulled off the air line. It was filled with oil on the bottom. I blew it out. I was able to engage the locker out in front of my house. Now I have to take it up to the high country to see if will also work.

Now my question is, how did oil get in the air line? How do I prevent that from happening again?

Thanks for all the help.

-John
Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'm going to guess this might be as simple as a bad o-ring/seal. You have copper line that runs from the locker, passing through a hole in the diff housing where you make your connection with the external air line. If you had oil blocking the line, were able to unscrew it, blow it out, screw it back on and get it to lock up that easily, I'd suspect it's the o-ring or connection right there at the pumpkin. If you had oil in that entire copper line, I don't think what you did would have cleared out, thus ruling out the seal at the locker itself. That is just my stab at an educated guess. Either way, you have to go back for your checkup, and the installer should be able to remedy that issue for you.
The following users liked this post:
prelucir (06-15-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil can migrate up the air line if the locker isn't used very often. Many miles and no use is the usual suspect and isn't generally a long term issue once the line is blown clear.

It's quite common for the end user to over tighten the second fitting when installing the blue air line on to the fitting. When the air line nut is tightened the second fitting can spin and crush the copper airline. It can be as bad as completely sheared if someone really cranks on it. This generally seals the tube and no air leak is found but the locker won't engage. Slow disengagement can also be a sign if not tightened as far. Use a wrench to hold the second fitting when tightening the airline nut.

The new Air Locker black line uses a different design bulkhead kit and over tightening the copper tube isn't possible.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Digger 5
Oil can migrate up the air line if the locker isn't used very often. Many miles and no use is the usual suspect and isn't generally a long term issue once the line is blown clear.

I can believe this. I don't drive my Jeep very often, and take is off road less often. However, now that it is built up, I am getting out more.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Everything seems to be working well right now.

-John

Quick Reply: Locker won't lock, I don't know why.