Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker On Sahara?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
This is a sensible option for the OP to consider. The Tru-Lok could be switched with a sPOD or just simple toggle & relay. But, that brings us to the rear axle and as mentioned, you'd use a rear locker much more than the front. Your best bet might be an Eaton e-locker in the rear, then perhaps finding a take out Rubi 44 for the front at some point. FWIW, one of my fellow club members has a Sahara and after considering all options she went ARB in the rear and swung for the fences with a fully built PR44/ARB in front. She's on Duratrac 34s, no more worries.

One last thought, I'm 50 miles from Silverton, CO and run those local mountain trails a lot in the summertime. Other than Poughkeesie Gulch I never use the lockers on my Rubicon. You may not need them at all, so I'd suggest you come on out and see for yourself before diving in.

The problem I had was lack of traction on steep hills, I was the only one without a front locker and struggled to get up the hills... But perhaps with a better tire it may not be as much of a problem.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thinking about a 285/70 17 or a 305/65 17 on micky thompson classic iii's.

I like the duratrack, pro comp extreme At's or MT baja atzp3 , but have researched enough to determine which one.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by c5er
I like the duratrack, pro comp extreme At's or MT baja atzp3 , but have researched enough to determine which one.
Stay away from the ProComps. I've seen two ProComp blowouts in less than 24 hours. Weak sidewalls especially in the rocks, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c5er
The problem I had was lack of traction on steep hills, I was the only one without a front locker and struggled to get up the hills... But perhaps with a better tire it may not be as much of a problem.
Since you're more of a street driver going with an A/T, I'd go with some 35" Duratracs and a good set of beadlocks. You'll be good with that setup.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Since you're more of a street driver going with an A/T, I'd go with some 35" Duratracs and a good set of beadlocks. You'll be good with that setup.
what makes a "good set" of bedrocks from "bad"
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

You don't need beadlocks for what you use your jeep for. I run my 35 MTRs between 10 & 12 PSI all the time without issue. Those I wheel with run low PSI without beadlocks as well. Beadlocks are nice but not mandatory. Spend the money elsewhere.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

The least expensive way to help the traction in the front is a Eaton trutrac. If your worried about the strength of the D30, then add sleeve inserts and C gussets while changing the diff. But I'll bet the stock D30 with trutrac will do all you want it to do. If you start wheeling hard enough that you tear the D30 up, then you can replace with better setup. Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by badeye; 01-06-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

If you are truly 95% street then don't bother locking it. I have a front Lokka on my Sahara and I am happy with the knowledge that it is much more capable offroad than without the locker. It cost less than $300 and I installed it myself. If I wheeled less I would go back to an open diff for daily driving.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A front autolocker may not be the best solution for Wisconsin winters on a daily driver.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:35 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Joe_B
You don't need beadlocks for what you use your jeep for. I run my 35 MTRs between 10 & 12 PSI all the time without issue. Those I wheel with run low PSI without beadlocks as well. Beadlocks are nice but not mandatory. Spend the money elsewhere.
He's got $$ to blow and since it's pretty much been determined that slapping on a Dana44 or even a selectable front locker for the D30 in his case is going to be way more than what he needs, like I said go with a winch if not beadlocks/ball joints/Cs. Beadlocks maybe overkill as well but at least when it comes time to sell them should he decide to sell the Jeep or go back to stock, he'll get the majority of his $$ back.

Actually instead of a winch, like another poster mentioned just go with a tru-trac up front for the least cost. See how that works with stock wheels and a decent A/T tire. Have room to spend a little more $? Get the beadlocks.

Last edited by DJ1; 01-06-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Locker On Sahara?