Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker on Rear 3:21 Diff

Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker on Rear 3:21 Diff

Has anyone bothered to install a locker on their standard DANA 44 / 3:21 ratio differential? It is obviously not a setup for "hardcore" offroading. I would just like the option there for "just in case" to provide a bit more of a boot in the rearend so to speak. Thanks in advance for any info. Take care... Mike
Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3073b
I could be wrong, but it seems that if you are going to pay for the labor to install the locker, you could get new rear gears done for the cost of parts only. You'd of course have to do the front as well, but then you would end up with a great setup.

Bryan.
X2.....

stupid 10 character rule
Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

DEFINITELY do the gears with the locker! Only makes sense to do it all at once.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Still Locker on Rear 3:21 Diff

Thanks guys but I generally use her for a DD and get 24 to 25 MPG (ACTUAL not Displayed). I've checked these calculations over the period of 10 months and 15,000 miles and have had others check my math as well. Any trail running I do she handles just fine with Low Range and proper tranny gear selection. I don't do the "hard-core" off road driving that a lot of you do. If I need to get into a particularly "nasty" terrain I will simply use the ATV. SARA (my Jeep) tows it just fine.
The idea behind the locker hooked -up to the 3:21 diff is to simply allow her to get a little better footing should the need arise. Thanks again guys... Take care... Mike
Old 07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

In your case, why not just buy a winch as a (better) safety net?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Obviously you can do it. BUT seriously atleast put 4:10's in it unless your leaving the 3:21's for fuel mileage. There are alot of guys selling their stock gears on here and if your in there and paying for the locker install you might as well do the gears.

Im right behind you. Lockers and gears are hopefully my next mod.

Quick Reply: Locker on Rear 3:21 Diff