Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker quandry

Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lift a tire and a limited slip is basically like an open diff. You can tap the brakes and maybe get a little traction due to the torque transfer but it's nothing like a locker.

I'd rather have a limited slip than an open diff but I'd never pay for one.

Also if adding one in you'll have to pay for installation of a limited slip. A lunch box locker like a Lock Right, Spartan, Aussie Locker, NoSlip, etc go inside the carrier and you can install them yourself.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A tight clutch driven LSD works nothing like a TT. Tight clutches tend to push (or pull) like a locker on slick surfaces. TT are great on compact snow and ice where a std LSD tends to plow (understeer).
TT's are nearly invisible in 2 WD and not bad at all in 4WD. They can be require a little more effort than open but it's not a problem.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry if this has already been stated, Ive been trying to follow the whole conversation but its only 7am. I was looking at a TT as well, Im just not sure if I should do it in the front or back. I understand the D30 is the weaker of the 2 axles and mind that Im in Jersey and I do mostly fire trails, some light to medium off trail when camping and play in some mud when I can, not to mention the winters snow/ice. I have 33's and dont plan on going any bigger. So...front or rear axle for the TT? Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're only going to add a traction adder to one axle put it in the rear.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is this talk of an LSD spinning a lifted tire comimg from? It does the opposite. If a tire is off the ground or has less traction and spins an LSD sends power to the stopped wheel. That is their purpose. I've been in serious rock with trackloc and can beat the open diff guys all day long. My LSD's were more valuable than tires and a lift on waterfalls with loose rock.

I'm not sure what situations the OP needs a locker for, deep sand? LSD is great in snow and rain to keep power to the wheel with traction. It would do the same for you in gravel or sand.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Uhm...no, the spinning overcomes the clutches/gears of a limited slip pretty easily and the lifted tire free wheels. Same reason a limited slip has "better manners" on the road and doesn't chirp the outer tire or try and steer the vehicle during turns.

Unless you have a very tightly setup clutch limited slip but that's basically using one beyond what it's meant for.

Quick Reply: Locker quandry