Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is a locker necessary with Trac-Lok?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a locker necessary with Trac-Lok?

My 09 Jeep came with Trac-Lok, according to a friend who I consider knowledgeable about Jeeps I was telling him that I wanted to get locking differentials like he has in his 06 Rubi.

He told me it wasnt necessary for the rear axle since I have Trac-Lok and he said if anything I should just do the front axle if I am really concerned....he also commented that I probably dont even need that as I dont plan on doing anything hard-core.

Any comments on these comments that he made?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Don't know about the trac-lok but if you don't plan on doing anything too crazy you won't need a locker. But my experience is that the more you go off roading the more you want to do. Hence I am saving for locker.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I have the limited slip differential (LSD, aka Trak-Lok) and kept up with two JK
Rubi's with lockers on a number of trails in Moab, including Poison Spider Mesa,
and Fins and Things. You also have the brake lock differential (BLD), which is
pretty effective at locking up a wheel that loses ground contact. At one point
on Fins and Things, on a particularly tough climb, a fellow in a rental TJ
approached me and commented that we were all lucky to have lockers. He'd
tried and tried and could not make the ascent. I pointed out that, while my
running buddies had lockers, I did not. If you're not running stuff tougher
than this, I wouldn't bother with lockers:

In Moab:

In Disney:

Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you are not running in any competitions, then lockers are WAY WAY OVER RATED AND OVER USED!!!!!!
I wil NEVER put lockers in my TJ or JK, I prefer the bragging rights of running with the big dogs that a re locked front and rear, and still struggle. If you just learn the basics of picking the right line and keeping you tires on the ground then you do not need them. I have never been in a situationthat lockers would have made the difference. I haverun trails from green to black at all the local parks, and still havent need them. you may not be able to run the exact same line as a locked jeep, but you can finness your way over or through any obstacle with common sense and knowing your vehicle. as long as you are not running in deep mud, then the JK's BLD is really all you need anyway. Hummer H1, and Landrover have been using these for decades now.

2007 JK Unlimited
3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
if you are not running in any competitions, then lockers are WAY WAY OVER RATED AND OVER USED!!!!!!
I wil NEVER put lockers in my TJ or JK, I prefer the bragging rights of running with the big dogs that a re locked front and rear, and still struggle. If you just learn the basics of picking the right line and keeping you tires on the ground then you do not need them. I have never been in a situationthat lockers would have made the difference. I haverun trails from green to black at all the local parks, and still havent need them. you may not be able to run the exact same line as a locked jeep, but you can finness your way over or through any obstacle with common sense and knowing your vehicle. as long as you are not running in deep mud, then the JK's BLD is really all you need anyway. Hummer H1, and Landrover have been using these for decades now.

2007 JK Unlimited
3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
i could not agree more
Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

can I got a Whoorah for the Sahara! I'm sure a lot has to do with the driver!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mark Doiron!@!! Wow that looked steep, crazy pics, I dont know if I would have walked up that incline!!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
Come to Arizona and give any loose gravelly hill climb a try and say that. The locker crowd will walk up. LSDs will spin and slip but make it. Open diffs will run and gun until either they break something or they get over by shear momentum.

I'm sure where you run lockers are optional. Not so much where we go.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

You have a lot more control of your tires with a locker
Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my last JK I had the LSD rear and installed a locker on the front.
I installed the Aussie locker on mine and will do it again on my new JK. I just won't wait so long to do it. Can you wheel without one? Yes Will it make a difference if you put one in? Yes Would it be worth it to you? Don't know.. I suggest you wheel it and see if you think you need a locker. We all live in different types of terrain and wheel differently. My Aussie locker might not be ideal for someone in Colorado using 4wd on the highway at speed. I live in Central Texas so that's not how I use my 4wd. Mine is all offroad.

My new JK has an open differential front and rear so a locker for me is a must. What type of locker is a decision based on experience, budget, application and area. Just my $0.02 but with current markets it's probably worthless.

Quick Reply: Is a locker necessary with Trac-Lok?