Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker or limited slip options front and rear for 2016 Sport?

Old 01-24-2016, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker or limited slip options front and rear for 2016 Sport?

What are some options to aid in front and rear traction for my new Wrangler Sport? I used to have a 97 TJ 4 cyl, manual trans with a Dana 35 rear axle that, I put a Lock Right Locker in. It was cheap, worked pretty well with no problems and what I liked most about it was the fact that I could put it in or take it out very easily. I never put a locker in the front because I couldn't get any solid advice on whether it would or wouldn't work on the street. The Lock Right in the rear only "locked" when the Jeep was under power however, it would "ratchet" while coasting in a corner. So, I thought that the only way that it would lock the front axle in a corner on the street would be if the Jeep was under power with the t case engaged in 4wd. But, some people that I asked if this was true said no and that it would always be locked and that I'd break an axle shaft and/or I wouldn't be able to make the turn. My main goals in deciding/purchasing some type of traction aid is to get something easy to install and is cheap. The type of off roading that I do or will do consists of shallow mud, snow or short but steep hill climbs. Thanks for your opinions, knowledge and time in helping me.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lockers

Depending on your gearing and where you want to be as far as tire size. I recommend ARB Air lockers. Or if your like me and dont want the hassle of OBA. Eaton has a nice 4 pinion E-Locker. I'm going to be getting this done on the front and rear hopefully in the next few months.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3694-2.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	635531  
Old 01-25-2016, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Have you looked into the Detroit Truetracs? This is the route I'm going because:

-I don't want auto lockers because I hear they can be a weird in snow/ice/rain

-I can't justify the cost of e-lockers or air lockers, since I'm mostly trails, shallow mud, and fire roads. I might get one wheel off the ground once a year, and if I get stuck I have a winch

-the truetracs are always there if you need them, no switches to press

-they're relatively cheap! Around $480 for each axle.

I do understand that they're limited slip, NOT full lockers, but I don't need full lockers. Truetracs seem like a happy medium between open and locked differentials, and enough for my needs.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you want lunchboxes, check into Aussie. I'm pretty sure I saw a post from them not long ago indicating that they have a rear d44 version now? As far as the front goes, you'll be fine in 2wd. You may hear some clicking in turns, but it is not actually engaged until you shift into 4wd.

If you want a limited, the (eaton detroit) truetrac is the one you want. But, these are full case, so will need gear setup. Sounds like more work/cost than you are wanting? Anyway, they are gear driven, and very stout compared to the other limiteds on the market, which are all based around clutches. Summit racing has them for $390 for the d30, and $435 for the rear d44. (I am currently running front/rear air lockers, but the truetrac is still my favorite traction device. I went everywhere with those things, perfect setup for my needs...)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been very happy with my Truetrac's front and rear. One of the best mods I have.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

VERY happy with my TruTrac's front and rear. Affordable, no ratcheting, no torquing, seamless. Always there to help out wheather in low-range or high-range. Awesome in the snow, too.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am currently running an Aussie Locker in my front D30 and an ARB air locker in the rear D44. Love how they perform and most of all I can go where the big boys on 40's and 1 ton axles. I just take a different line because I am only on 35's. If you have not already regeard I would recommend doing it the same time as you do the lockers. Pay for the labor once.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a Aussie locker in my TJ and it acted like an open Diff until you put it in 4x4, no ratcheting or noises whatsoever

Last edited by jchappies; 01-26-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If your not putting wheels in the air all the time, the true tracs are the best way to go.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 more for trutracs. I play mostly in sand and not a big rocks fan, so no need for lockers really. Works great as a daily driver even in Midwest Winters.

Quick Reply: Locker or limited slip options front and rear for 2016 Sport?