Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker on front axle and limited slip on rear axle

Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ1
The guys who just won KOH run ARB's rear and Detroit's up front on all their rigs. .

I bet those guys weren't driving their trail rigs on the street.... If you are doing a front locker, you want it to be selectable. Guys I know running rear detroit lockers have to take it easy on corners and such on the street. Imagine what it would be like if its attached to your steering wheel end!

Unles this is a trail rig you trailer to the wheeling spots.....
Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run that set up for 7 years and it works great. My JK came with a limited slip so the decision was easy. That said, true track does not work very well if one tire is in the air. So I would go with a clutch type solution in the rear.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

If you get any amount of snow or ice the selectable in the front is worth waiting/saving for.

Having driven locked front and rear vehicles in snow on the road it is great right up to the point where you want to change direction...or stop.
Off Road in deep snow not as big of a deal, ice on trails or road a very, very big deal.

The shocks from locking and unlocking are hard on axle u-joints too with a detroit, or lunchbox locker, the gear type LS not as bad.

If you go non selectable a tru trac is the better choice for front axle - stay away from a clutch type LS, and lunchbox lockers.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't forget, a lunchbox locker is an automatic locker so you wont notice a front locker unless you engage it in 4wd. I do agree however, that you don't want an auto locker in the rear unless you live somewhere like texas that does not get a lot of snow or ice.

As for limited slip, I feel they are a much better option than the truetrac if you plan on off roading. Truetracs are great for street cars and trucks. But they are not so good for off-road. The oppositie is true for clutch... they are better for off road then they are for street. Clutchs will transfer power to the wheel on the ground (50%) so at least you have some movement. A true trac is really only good when both tires are on the ground. If one is in the air, the power goes the the tire with the least traction.

As for driving in the ice... A limited slip is better to drive on the ice and with your JK's ESP, it should not be too bad. Just don't push it around turns.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
That said, true track does not work very well if one tire is in the air. So I would go with a clutch type solution in the rear.
As for limited slip, I feel they are a much better option than the truetrac if you plan on off roading. Truetracs are great for street cars and trucks. But they are not so good for off-road. The oppositie is true for clutch... they are better for off road then they are for street. Clutchs will transfer power to the wheel on the ground (50%) so at least you have some movement. A true trac is really only good when both tires are on the ground. If one is in the air, the power goes the the tire with the least traction.
Are you sure about all this?

Clutches wear out. When offroad with tires in the air and spinning, clutches wear out FAST.

The truetrac is mechanical. It doesn't wear out. Ever. A little brake pressure, or the JK's bld, will transfer power to the tire with traction. As good offroad as a full locker? No. Better than a limited slip with clutches? I'm gonna go with a yes.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I bet those guys weren't driving their trail rigs on the street.... If you are doing a front locker, you want it to be selectable. Guys I know running rear detroit lockers have to take it easy on corners and such on the street. Imagine what it would be like if its attached to your steering wheel end!

Unles this is a trail rig you trailer to the wheeling spots.....

Yeah, good point. I doubt those guys were using them as DD's with the Detroit Lockers up front plus I still like to take corners at speed from time to time (yeah I know it's a Jeep and not a sports car but after driving a sport sedan for the longest time old habits die hard...).

Mine's definitely a DD right now so I've narrowed it down to either the ARB, Yukon Zip, or the OX Locker. Now if I could only decide on keeping the D30 and beefing it up or just make the investment towards an aftermarket 44.

Great thread. Good to hear the pros/cons with all the different combos.

I need to win the lotto.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i too was looking at a selectable front and a truetrac rear.... front so that i can turn it completely off, but gear type LSD for the rear (snow and ice here is a DEFINITE)..

I'm curious why no one is mentioning the Eaton E-locker on the front. From what I've read, they aren't great in the rear (2 pinion system), but on the front D30, they are very robust due to a different design.

Am i missing something?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by genesis121
Anybody run a locker up front and a limited slip/ True Trac on the rear? I am not going to be rock crawling, just "average" off roading and wondering if a locker on both axles is really necessary or if I put that $$$$ elsewhere.
That's exactly the setup I have, mine is Shara with a Rubi 44 E-locker up front and a Detroit Soft Locker in the rear. I find it works really well, haveing a locker up front that is always engaged in 4wd puts a lot more stress on the steering components as well as makes it difficult manuvering sometimes. I don't use the front locker except for those times it's realy soft, slippery or one wheel is in the air but it's really nice to know it's there to use
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is completely wrong, limited slip with clutches wear out when one wheel is planted and one wheel is spinning, the clutches are toasted in no time if used offroad. Truetracs have some locking factor (100 lb preload I believe) even in the air, which can be increased by dragging the break and will not wear out do to their mechanical gear design.

Quick Reply: Locker on front axle and limited slip on rear axle