Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker debate

Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker debate

Hey all, I'm having a debate with myself. I know this has been scrutinized a lot out there but I have a bit of a specific question based on all your experience & knowledge. The question is I may only be able to do one locker in my setup even though I had intended on two. What would be the most reliable setup of these choices;

2 pinion locker in a Dana 44 or a 4 pinion in a Dana 30 w/aftermarket bumper & winch. These would be selectable.

I realize neither is ideal. I'm not sure that I can or even want to go with and arb or OX setup. In any event, opinions appreciated.

2d JK, 33" (but are really 32 or 32.5 I can't recall), 3" lift, 3.73 gearing
moderate offroading, logging roads, mountain & hilly trails but nothing extreme, lots of snow & ice, forrested areas. I don't drive it hard, I'm not affriad to try and work around an obstacle to avoid damage

I'm not interested in rock crawling, I just don't like getting stuck so this is for longevity and an added boost over/up/thru obstacles & before I'm really stuck and need to winch out. Major mods will be done for me after this choice (more than likely) so my concern is repair down the road. I've never had the chance to have selectable & I've owned two different vehicles now for moderate 4x4ing. I now may have that option and keep in mind I do have the BLD system albeit the worst of them all. Might play into the decision though in your expert(s) opinion. I.e. BLD is plenty of stress for a loaded down in weight dana 30. Or the BLD will be sufficient for the rear and my concern of weight + dana 30 isn't comparable to the weakness of a 2 pinion 44 so do the front.

Which combo do you feel would be most reliable & durable if you were in my spot.

IMHO having a locker front or rear in a 1 locker setup is going to be of benefit so that isn't my debate. The 09 JK 2d also had a factory GKN locker option for the rear, so chrysler must have felt rear was more reliable - warranties?

Thanks all.

Last edited by taboo; 01-28-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by taboo
Hey all, I'm having a debate with myself. I know this has been scrutinized a lot out there but I have a bit of a specific question based on all your experience & knowledge. The question is I may only be able to do one locker in my setup even though I had intended on two. What would be the most reliable setup of these choices;

2 pinion locker in a Dana 44 or a 4 pinion in a Dana 30 w/aftermarket bumper & winch. These would be selectable.

I realize neither is ideal. I'm not sure that I can or even want to go with and arb or OX setup. In any event, opinions appreciated.

2d JK, 33" (but are really 32 or 32.5 I can't recall), 3" lift, 3.73 gearing
moderate offroading, logging roads, mountain & hilly trails but nothing extreme, lots of snow & ice, forrested areas. I don't drive it hard, I'm not affriad to try and work around an obstacle to avoid damage

I'm not interested in rock crawling, I just don't like getting stuck so this is for longevity and an added boost over/up/thru obstacles & before I'm really stuck and need to winch out. Major mods will be done for me after this choice (more than likely) so my concern is repair down the road. I've never had the chance to have selectable & I've owned two different vehicles now for moderate 4x4ing. I now may have that option and keep in mind I do have the BLD system albeit the worst of them all. Might play into the decision though in your expert(s) opinion. I.e. BLD is plenty of stress for a loaded down in weight dana 30. Or the BLD will be sufficient for the rear and my concern of weight + dana 30 isn't comparable to the weakness of a 2 pinion 44 so do the front.

Which combo do you feel would be most reliable & durable if stuck in my spot.

IMHO having a locker front or rear in a 1 locker setup is going to be of benefit so that isn't my debate. The 09 JK 2d also had a factory GKN locker option for the rear, so chrysler must have felt rear was more reliable - warranties?

Thanks all.
In your terrain trutracs would perform great. That's what's going in my DD. I do the same type of off roading. Gnarly trails but no rock crawling.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would have to say that in your situation, you would be fine with either. Since you are not rock crawling, I would lean more towards a rear locker though just for the fact that you will have better steering while offroad.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like we do the same type of wheeling. I plan to, someday, get a rear selectable locker. The D44 back there is stronger and there will be a lot less strain on steering components. I think front lockers are more for rock crawling. The rear will be more versatile IMHO.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As most people here know, I'm not a big fan of Eaton's 2 pinion D44 ELocker. That said, with the description of the wheeling you do, it's a great option. You'll find a far better increase in traction by adding a rear locker when compared to adding a front locker. Additionally, the added stress of a locker up front (in a 30) can lead to failures far less common with an open front.

To me, this is a very well thought out request. In many cases the OP asks what is better without giving much information as to the use of the rig, the experience and mindset of the driver or the terrain of intended use. Nice post.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
As most people here know, I'm not a big fan of Eaton's 2 pinion D44 ELocker. That said, with the description of the wheeling you do, it's a great option. You'll find a far better increase in traction by adding a rear locker when compared to adding a front locker. Additionally, the added stress of a locker up front (in a 30) can lead to failures far less common with an open front.

To me, this is a very well thought out request. In many cases the OP asks what is better without giving much information as to the use of the rig, the experience and mindset of the driver or the terrain of intended use. Nice post.
Thanks alot I appreciate that and your feedback!

..and thanks to the others thus far. I figure, while some/most/all may not have run this exact setup you can probably speak to the general reliability of either set up. Weighted down d30 & 4 pinion or 2 pinion d44 with not as much weight from mods. I also am leaning towards the 2 pinion d44 setup even though I've read opinions on it. I can't see myself going past 'true' 33"x12.5s in this rig either as kids need to hop in and out but even still I like the option of being able to move to 4.88 and 35" without swapping the locker too. This wouldn't be for another few years (3-5) or a bit more if at all and most likely not at all but is a nice option down the road and again my dana 30 already has another 200lbs weight on it or so from the bumper, shackles, winch, armor. I have read that eaton is supposed to be redesigning the 2 pinion but I only have about another 5 months before my ability to do major mods end.

Last edited by taboo; 01-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Locker debate