Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker Blinking Light Issue

Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spring is sideways because it's on the lift, the axle is hanging and the track bar has it drug to the side.. Put it back on the ground that will fix itself..

Checking the locker..

You see that little back box sitting on the silver ring that's about an inch wide..?? It has a blue wire coming out of it.. 2 Actually.. It's the wire that feeds voltage to the diff to make the electro magnetic part do it's thing. The wire exits the diff housing right about that in a plug that's held down by a plastic clip with a small bolt in it. Remove the bolt and retainer clip and pull the wires out carefully. It's a rubber plug so it'll fight you a little bit. Once the rubber plug is free you'll find the electrical connector. Unhook the connector and be careful not to let the end slip back into the diff.. Put a zip tie of something on the end of it.

For the next part you'll need a multi-meter or a test light probe. Get the Jeep in 4LO.. Parking brake on, put it in park if an auto, neutral if a 6 speed. Engage the rear locker switch.. Light should blink on the dash. Go back the end of the plug that's connected to the rest of the wiring harness and see if you get voltage..

If you don't have voltage, check your fuses and the solenoid. The solenoid is under the hood right beside the battery. One for the front, one for the rear. Not an easy way to test the solenoid.. At least there's not an easy way for me to tell you how to test it..

If you have voltage at the plug, there's something in the diff that's not right. Get that multimeter back out and set it to OHMS. Check the leads going into the diff.. They should have something around .5 - 3 ohms across them. If it shows open or infinity, the electro magnetic coil is bad. Which of course means having to tear the diff apart, remove the carrier and bearings to swap it out.. Pretty much a royal PITA. If the coil shows the .5 - 3 ohms, hook the plugs back up and listen for the locker to click an engage.. If you get no click and you have no voltage, you're likely looking at a new locker assembly..

Rather than having the dealer hit you for an entire new axle under insurance, you can look at something like putting an ARB locker in it's place.. Still gonna tap you for about $1000 for the locker and compressor plus another $400 - $600 for install.. Not sure if Eaton makes an Elocker for the JK yet or not. But it'd be a little less expensive to install since there's no air compressor to worry with..

Either way.. Good luck with it..
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the info, will check on everything as explained.
Good to know there are people out there that know more about the vehicles than these "stealers" we have here.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TokenMSJ
The spring is sideways because it's on the lift, the axle is hanging and the track bar has it drug to the side.. Put it back on the ground that will fix itself..

Checking the locker..

Either way.. Good luck with it..
Great post. Thanks for the information. Front Locker would not disengage on the weekend. I'm gonna use this information to assist me with some tinkering...
Old 05-01-2022, 12:59 PM

Default Thousands of an inch.

Originally Posted by Leonvv
Hi Guys
I was hoping someone can help me. I also have an issue with lockers.
My front lockers engage perfectly and light stays illuminated, but rear does not engage and light keeps blinking.
At 10 000km they replaced the diff bearing cauase it was making a huge noise at low speed.
Now at 44 000km my diff lock is not working, but i do not know how long it has not been working, cause you don't always need to use it!
The dealership is saying i knocked my diff housing and "warped" the housing. And saying there is something wrong with the jeep cause my rear right shock spring is not straight.
I can't see how that effects the diff lock.
Attachment 474254Attachment 474255

The report says that when they opened the diff cover they found a shim has come out of place. They put it back in place, but diff lock still not working.

they charged me for oil replacement, but still can't tell me why the diff lock is not working.
Their solution is to claim a whole new diff housing using my short term insurance because they say it is not covered by my warranty, our warranty in SA expires at 100 000km. Ridiculous!

Can anyone help me out any suggestoins i can try? Could it be faulty sensors? Faulty acuator? Anything???
Attachment 474258Attachment 474259

Attached are pics of my diff cover open. if anyone can see anything out of ordinary please share.

Thank you.
there is almost no way you will be able to see anything with the naked eye. Unless it is catastrophic. All the measurements are in thousandths of an inch. To check back lash and pinion gear you would need the paste. It leaves a pattern on the gears. To see bearings, you would have to pull the bolts on each side if the locker. If you scroll up there is a pic of a differential, then writing. It shows you where the ring is that needs to move in and out to lock your diff. Take time to learn it while it is open, don't forget to reinstall with a good gasket and put in gear lube.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Locker Blinking Light Issue