Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker Blinking Light Issue

Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker Blinking Light Issue

Seem to be having some locker issues. Not sure what's going on.

Thursday –
Put Jeep into 4 Low
Turned both front and rear lockers on.
Front stayed Lit back would only blink
I could hear a whistle from the rear like there was a rubbing
Turned both off
Took out of 4 low
Rears seemed stuck. Eventually through turning slowly and sharply it became free.

Sunday-
Put Jeep in 4 low
Turned lockers on and was able to get both solid lights though I don’t completely think the rears were locked. I could faintly hear that whistle again.
Turned both off but now the rear locker light stays blinking.
Took out of 4 low
The Rear locker does not seem to be locked as turning is normal however the light has not stopped blinking.
Even after the Jeep has been off for hours, it blinks when the Jeep is started back up.

Sunday Evening-
I tried putting it back into 4 low and engaged the lockers.
I can get the lights solid.
Ive tried a series of forward and reverse with them locked then tried to turn them off but no matter what I do now, the rear light blinks.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Does it feel like it's still locked?

If not, maybe it has not moved all the way toward unlocked enough to extinguish the light.
Pull the differential fill plug and with a common screwdriver pry the locker to the right and see if the light goes out.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

from what i seen on my friends rubi the blinking light means there is a problem with the locker. either they are locked or the gears inside are bad. sorry to hear about that.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aftahour
from what i seen on my friends rubi the blinking light means there is a problem with the locker. either they are locked or the gears inside are bad. sorry to hear about that.
Well as a minor correction, the locker light starts flashing immediately to let the driver know that an electrical signal has been sent to activate the locker. There is a separate sensor that detects when the locker is truly engaged. When that sensor detects that the locker is fully engaged, the locker light then glows solid and remains solid as long as the locker is engaged.

If the sensor is faulty, a condition could be created where the locker is engaged, but since it can't be confirmed, the locker light continues to flash, even though the locker is actually engaged.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

It definitely does not feel engaged now but the light is still flashing. I can turn sharp and it does not drag or bounce. I am in drive and the 4wd is off.

I am a little nervous about driving it much in this condition as its my daily driver and I need to work in the morning. I can't imagine them locking as I'm driving at regular speed.
Fortunately the rear was replaced recently as the dealer said they thought they were bad when I had made mention of a noise I could hear from the rear right tire. This was during a 60k maintenance. I know this wasn't the problem and that's confirmed because after they replaced the rear locker, I still hear the noise. I let them do it however because it was under warranty and I figured I was getting a new locker out of the deal.
So needless to say, they will keep getting it back until they fix it right and if it locks and explodes on the freeway, they can pay for all that too. Fricken dealerships!

Last edited by DyerMkr; 03-10-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the latest is, I brought into the dealership since they are the ones who replaced my "not needing to be replaced" locker.
It took them two days to get a sensor, take apart the rear and replace the sensor. Good news is both my lockers lock right up when engaged and disengage properly.
I think they engage so quickly now because Ive been using them.
Lesson learned -
Use your lockers before you hit the trail to be sure they are working properly and most importantly, engage them regardless at least a couple times a month to keep them moving freely.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out for you!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2010 Rubicon lockers

I can't figure out why the lockers won't engage...push the button once (supposed to be rear lock), push the button again (front lock) and the only thing I get is blinking lights for the locks. Supposed to be 4 dogs in the fight after that but I've got one in the front that will positively turn and one in the back...did they put a Rubicon sticker on my jeep and sold it as such?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jarvisLW
I can't figure out why the lockers won't engage...push the button once (supposed to be rear lock), push the button again (front lock) and the only thing I get is blinking lights for the locks. Supposed to be 4 dogs in the fight after that but I've got one in the front that will positively turn and one in the back...did they put a Rubicon sticker on my jeep and sold it as such?
Are you saying the front diff is unlocked, light is blinking, and the rear diff is locked, light also blinks? Blinking light (diffs or sway bar) typically means it's either in transition or there's a problem and it's not working.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2012 Rubicon rear locker not engaging.

Hi Guys
I was hoping someone can help me. I also have an issue with lockers.
My front lockers engage perfectly and light stays illuminated, but rear does not engage and light keeps blinking.
At 10 000km they replaced the diff bearing cauase it was making a huge noise at low speed.
Now at 44 000km my diff lock is not working, but i do not know how long it has not been working, cause you don't always need to use it!
The dealership is saying i knocked my diff housing and "warped" the housing. And saying there is something wrong with the jeep cause my rear right shock spring is not straight.
I can't see how that effects the diff lock.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	474254Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2432.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	474255

The report says that when they opened the diff cover they found a shim has come out of place. They put it back in place, but diff lock still not working.

they charged me for oil replacement, but still can't tell me why the diff lock is not working.
Their solution is to claim a whole new diff housing using my short term insurance because they say it is not covered by my warranty, our warranty in SA expires at 100 000km. Ridiculous!

Can anyone help me out any suggestoins i can try? Could it be faulty sensors? Faulty acuator? Anything???
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	474258Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	474259

Attached are pics of my diff cover open. if anyone can see anything out of ordinary please share.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Locker Blinking Light Issue