Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker in the back [D44], what about bearings?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locker in the back [D44], what about bearings?

So I dont have very many miles on the JK, but I am installing new gears tomorrow. I figured I'd get a new carrier [Locker] to go along with it. I got the install kit with the gears, but didnt get the bearings. They can't be worn out, but are they easy to get off the stock carrier? Any chance of trashing them getting them off? I have proper pullers and bearing separators, presses etc... to do the job.

I went to advance auto and napa to pick up a set, but neither show parts listed for that new of a jeep [2010]. Should I be concerned with getting new ones? If so anyone know the mopar number or timken number? Auto parts stores have to have them, just listed to fit other apps.

thanks,
CE

Last edited by controlsengineer; 09-24-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

me and a buddy doing it. he is certified ford mechanic and i am an engineer. he basically has a dealer service bay at his house, 2 post lift included! I am just un sure of the interference fit... .001 or .005 big difference getting it off. On isnt a problem, we'll use a bearing heater.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

bearings are cheap. I would grab some just in case you destroy yours in the process if you dont want to replace them. If you dont use them, take them back. My local o'relieys had all pinion/axle bearings in stock when I geared my last jk.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
bearings are cheap. I would grab some just in case you destroy yours in the process if you dont want to replace them. If you dont use them, take them back. My local o'relieys had all pinion/axle bearings in stock when I geared my last jk.
I agree, or be ready and able to run and get some quick. I had an experienced guy destroy one, just an accident.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak

If you change the bearings along with the gears you know you are good for another 100 thousand miles with regular fluid changes. I changed mine at 30K.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Easy way to remove pinion and carrier bearings

I am not going to reuse these bearrings but wanted to sand out the inerrings and create some setup bearings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5vZ...er_profilepage
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

You don't need set up bearings. The bearings press on and the shims go outside the bearings.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

I think it's impossible to get a puller leg or a splitter under the bearing next to the electromagnet on a rubi locker. I wish I had a picture to show you. The only way to get it off without destroying it is by using the puller made by Yukon. It locks onto the rolling elements and holds the cage so it cannot be distorted. I changed alot of carrier bearings with just a two leg puller but it's so much easier with the Yukon tool.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the back done no problem. what about the front, are the shims under the bearings? my buddy said he thought they were.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

front is the same as the back

Quick Reply: Locker in the back [D44], what about bearings?