Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

locker

Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to lock a 30 I would recommend upgrading your axles. These are the weak link in a Dana 30, especially if you move to larger tires, bump up horsepower or lock 'em.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greenrescue
What locker would you recomend in a 30 front?? I have 07 unlimited stick with 4.88 gears. The axle has C's and is sleeved. I was going to lock it when I had gears done, but heard that it was a bad idea. I now want to after a couple wheeling trips.
Looks like original idea of not locking front may be best?? I have the LSD in rear. This is a daily driver, but does get wheeled. Will locking the back with a quality selectable locker make a big difference in slippery hill climbs or sand and some rock????
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyingbrian
Your going to get opinions all up and down the scale. So here's mine.

I have a JKU and when wheeling I'm always having to bump it hard ( insert joke ) to get my rear axle over the rocks Etc. the 44 is already a strong axle so I would lock the rear with a selectable locker. The 30 is still a 30 at the end of the day.

With so many different scenarios driving style, terrain, cash flow etc. locking the rear is the most frugal way to go. And the best bang for your buck!

Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk
Thanks this may be what I do.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A Truetrac is a complete carrier replacement. It is nothing like installing a lunch box locker.

Adding a selectable to the rear will be a huge improvement. I always recommend adding a locker first in the rear axle. There are very few instances where a front locker provides more traction than a rear locker.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE Adding a selectable to the rear will be a huge improvement. I always recommend adding a locker first in the rear axle. There are very few instances where a front locker provides more traction than a rear locker.[/QUOTE]

Would only adding a locker in the rear cause problems for daily driving if I am in 4 wheel on the highway? Could this create an instance where the rears are locked up and one power wheel up front? Seems like 3 wheels under power could cause issues.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I would also recommend leaving the front alone and doing a selectable in the rear. If you want one in the front later, either do something inexpensive, or do an axle swap and get rid of the D30.

Originally Posted by grover0878
[QUOTE Adding a selectable to the rear will be a huge improvement. I always recommend adding a locker first in the rear axle. There are very few instances where a front locker provides more traction than a rear locker.

Would only adding a locker in the rear cause problems for daily driving if I am in 4 wheel on the highway? Could this create an instance where the rears are locked up and one power wheel up front? Seems like 3 wheels under power could cause issues.
If you get a selectable for the rear, this won't be a problem. A selectable is only on when you turn it on.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE Adding a selectable to the rear will be a huge improvement. I always recommend adding a locker first in the rear axle. There are very few instances where a front locker provides more traction than a rear locker.
Would only adding a locker in the rear cause problems for daily driving if I am in 4 wheel on the highway? Could this create an instance where the rears are locked up and one power wheel up front? Seems like 3 wheels under power could cause issues.[/QUOTE]

With an auto locker you'll have a bit more understeer but with a selectable you'll only want to use the locker in very low speed situations (and bad conditions). A locked rear selectable tends to really understeer on icy roads.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Hopefully last question and thank all of you for the great help. Can a selectable locker in the rear be added after gears or is this like the TrueTrac that needs to be done at the same time? I really think I'm going to need to do gears right away after my 35's but don't have the extra $1000 to do a selectable locker in the rear and would like to add it later but don't want to double pay for installation costs if the rear end needs to be tore down to install them.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Hopefully last question and thank all of you for the great help. Can a selectable locker in the rear be added after gears or is this like the TrueTrac that needs to be done at the same time? I really think I'm going to need to do gears right away after my 35's but don't have the extra $1000 to do a selectable locker in the rear and would like to add it later but don't want to double pay for installation costs if the rear end needs to be tore down to install them.
All selectable lockers are full case, you would need to reset the gears
Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
A Truetrac is a complete carrier replacement. It is nothing like installing a lunch box locker.

Adding a selectable to the rear will be a huge improvement. I always recommend adding a locker first in the rear axle. There are very few instances where a front locker provides more traction than a rear locker.
Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: locker