Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locked VS Unlocked Rubicon Strength

Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked VS Unlocked Rubicon Strength

If I were to run a Rubicon unlocked on the trail in 4LO would the axles be as strong as a cherokee open 30 front, 8.25 rear? Or does the strength of the 44 axles come from when they are locked? I know the Cherokee doesn't have as big of axles. I am just trying to get an idea of the strength of the Rubicon 44's when running them unlocked.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

A dana 44 is a stronger, bigger axle than a 30 regardless of if it is locked or not
Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

How about this than? Is the Rubicon 44 unlocked stronger than a TJ 44 that is open?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by xj2000
How about this than? Is the Rubicon 44 unlocked stronger than a TJ 44 that is open?
The jk axles are slightly beefer then the tj rubicons. So yes they are stronger than a tj.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'm missing the point of how a differential being locked or unlocked changes the axle strength? The only thing that is happening when the diff is locked is the spider is turned into a spool, of sorts. If anything, the axle is "weaker", or at least is more exposed to breakage when the diff is locked. Is that what you are driving at?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

An open axle is kinda like a safety valve. If so much torque is applied, then the wheel that has less traction will begin to spin, thus relieving the internal stresses.

If the diff was locked and say one wheel was up in the air, all of the torque would then go to only to the one wheel on the ground, and if that wheel caught a rock, it could snap. So a locked diff (all other factors being the same) is more likely to fail (when locked) than an open diff.

The JK D44s are the strongest Jeep D44s yet. Especially the rear, where the ring gear is 8.9" rather than 8.5".
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
An open axle is kinda like a safety valve. If so much torque is applied, then the wheel that has less traction will begin to spin, thus relieving the internal stresses.

If the diff was locked and say one wheel was up in the air, all of the torque would then go to only to the one wheel on the ground, and if that wheel caught a rock, it could snap. So a locked diff (all other factors being the same) is more likely to fail (when locked) than an open diff.

The JK D44s are the strongest Jeep D44s yet. Especially the rear, where the ring gear is 8.9" rather than 8.5".
You can also consider wheel spin and an open differential to be a point of disaster as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
I guess I'm missing the point of how a differential being locked or unlocked changes the axle strength? The only thing that is happening when the diff is locked is the spider is turned into a spool, of sorts. If anything, the axle is "weaker", or at least is more exposed to breakage when the diff is locked. Is that what you are driving at?
This is exactly the information that I am looking for.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it goes both ways... needing to bounce your self up over an obstacle is a recipe for disaster, where if you were locked you have a better chance of crawling over it. The way I see it is the less skinny pedal you need the better off you are.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
it goes both ways... needing to bounce your self up over an obstacle is a recipe for disaster, where if you were locked you have a better chance of crawling over it. The way I see it is the less skinny pedal you need the better off you are.
Exactly. The application of the skinny pedal is, in most cases, directly responsible for the breakage.

Quick Reply: Locked VS Unlocked Rubicon Strength