Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

to lock or not to lock. that is the question

Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would always go locker first.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So. If you were going to need to regear anyways, would you recommend locking?

if so, what kind of locker?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LEEREED123
ok. my 08 4 door 6 speed x model did not come with a LSD.
it is my daily driver with light offroading on the weekend, mostly trails through the woods.
i want to venture into some more intense stuff, like deeper mud and plan on making a trip to Telico later this year(staying away from the tough trails).

do ya'll think for what I'm planning that i need more than a "1 wheel wonder"?
I want to go as inexpensively as posible with whatever i get.
so, what do ya'll think i should do, if anything?
Sliders and skids....you will never be high enough to clear everything...and the armor helps make sure your DD is able to do DD Duty come monday morning. You already mentioned a bumper/winch.

The few mm thick "factory skid plates" are kind of foo foo for rock hopping at Tellico.

Getting the diffs and axles up requires taller tires...a 1" BL is the fastest, cheapest way to fit 35's...that's 1.5" taller than the factory 32's from just getting 35's.

35's are a good size for Tellico.

Start jacking the JK up in the driveway...and making slack on brake lines, breathers, etc...make sure you can disco and flex, etc.

Some longer shocks will help you stay more level on off camber sections....etc.

You can think about throwing an Aussie Locker up front...its a driveway mod, and its the front that slips more than the rear anyway....and the Aussie allows the outside tire to go faster, making it steer way better than the lock-rite's and other traditional lockers...for a few hundred, instead of the big bucks needed to set gears, and other costs, the more expensive lockers require.

Food for thought.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will need lockers for Tellico!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Sliders and skids....you will never be high enough to clear everything...and the armor helps make sure your DD is able to do DD Duty come monday morning. You already mentioned a bumper/winch.

The few mm thick "factory skid plates" are kind of foo foo for rock hopping at Tellico.

Getting the diffs and axles up requires taller tires...a 1" BL is the fastest, cheapest way to fit 35's...that's 1.5" taller than the factory 32's from just getting 35's.

Start jacking the JK up in the driveway...and making slack on brake lines, breathers, etc...make sure you can disco and flex, etc.

You can think about throwing an Aussie Locker up front...its a driveway mod, and its the front that slips more than the rear anyway....and the Aussie allows the outside tire to go faster, making it steer way better than the lock-rite's and other traditional lockers...for a few hundred, instead of the big bucks needed to set gears, and other costs, the more expensive lockers require.

Food for thought.

sorry to hi-jack but i thought this might be helpful for the original question. How hard is it to install an aussie locker in the dana 30 front?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ

Food for thought.

thanks teej!

Quick Reply: to lock or not to lock. that is the question