Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

to lock or not to lock. that is the question

Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to lock or not to lock. that is the question

ok. my 08 4 door 6 speed x model did not come with a LSD.
it is my daily driver with light offroading on the weekend, mostly trails through the woods.
i want to venture into some more intense stuff, like deeper mud and plan on making a trip to Telico later this year(staying away from the tough trails).

do ya'll think for what I'm planning that i need more than a "1 wheel wonder"?
I want to go as inexpensively as posible with whatever i get.
so, what do ya'll think i should do, if anything?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

get a winch and if you find you are having that much trouble then invest in the lockers. Its going to be some serious hills and stuff that will require lockers. You might want to see if you have the ESP shut off upgrade. If not pull the f7 fuse.

When your in mud spinning tires the ESP will bog you right down. I find this to be the biggest problem in mud.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

yeah, I have a winch on order.
do you think a locker is needed for my uses?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lockers help to a degree but if your high centered which we did abit in the 07, a winch is a MUCH better option.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

ESP shutoff upgrade = 2008 software upgrade to allow said user the ability to disarm ESP fully via a sequence of manuvers.

I can't say for certain you need them.

I'm not sure if I need them either as there hasn't been a scenario yet that I've encountered that throwing the vehicle in 4wd hasn't gotten me out of. Now if you plan on allot of hill climbing or sandy hills you might want the constant traction.

I'm taking the advice from some of the guy's in my club that the lockers are not that helpful for the trails available around here. For the class trails I plan on riding they are stating I shouldn't need them but strongly recommended on the Category 5 to 10 trails if I want to get into this stuff.

Best advice given is to go out 4 to 5 times first and find out where the limits are on the jeep and then determine if I would like to go beyond the limits. For example the only ride I'v ebeen on this year is on private land and there is a 30 foot hill at a 20degree climb and it was very muddy on the incline. I definately struggled going up this as I spun quite allot and the guy in front of me had lockers and just zipped up the hill.

His tires are also different so he tends to really nail the mud where the xterrains are much better for some reason on rocks.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkkat
Lockers help to a degree but if your high centered which we did abit in the 07, a winch is a MUCH better option.
X2 on the winch first.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a rear locker and it helps in deep mud...get a hi-lift jack with a winch kit. it's cheap but its slooooooooooooooow. Bottom line is that it works though.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

I agree - go wheeling and find out. Do a locker if you are wheeling a lot and its a big hobby for you.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Get a winch, and like was said before, go wheeling a few times on the tougher trails and see how you do. If you do decide to get lockers, then also consider regearing at the same time to save on labor.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, I have a winch on order and I have a Hi Jack already. I've done plenty of wheeling with other larger, more powerful vehicles in mud, but haven't ventures into anything too bad with my JK yet. Also never wheeled in the type of terrain that is at Telico. just want to make sure I'm prepared for Telico. Never been there and want to make sure I'm ready. know what i mean?

Quick Reply: to lock or not to lock. that is the question