Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To lock or not...

Old 12-18-2013, 03:26 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To lock or not...

Right now I currently have 3.73 gears in my 2dr X model. I will be installing 4.88's this winter (myself). I am on a real right budget and have been debating on whether or not to install a locker in the rear at the same time. If I do, I was looking at the powertrax no slip locker, as it is suppose to be mostly silent. I dont have the funds to drop on a selectable.

I've wheeled without for years and these JK's and the brake differential system is a huge help. How much realistic improvement will I see from installing a rear locker?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 AM
JK Freak

I put a trutrac in the rear of my truck when I regeared it. My only regret is not putting one up front too, it's awesome, not noticeable on the road at all and offroad it's awesome, made a huge difference. Something to consider
Old 12-18-2013, 03:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wanted to install one that would def be the right time, and yes you would def notice a difference on, and offraod. I had a buddy that installed one of those in a TJ that he had, not to bad on the road(you did know it was there tho) and pretty great off road, but I believe it did break on him a few years in.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Ive been looking into doing something similar myself with my regear coming up. I found that a true locker isnt for me, but im very interested in a limited slip diff like the Detroit TrueTrac mentioned earlier. It seems the best for my needs, and safer in the snow, which is a concern as a fellow Michigander when it comes time to drive back up north for a visit home. Definitely check out your options!!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

When paired with the BDL the True Trac is a great option for the person who doesn't need full blown lockers but wants a little more than an open diff delivers, I put them front and rear when I did my regear last year and have no regrets what's so ever about it.

You didn't say if you had a stick or an auto, with a stick the rear auto locker is going to be more noticeable when shifting, can you live with it, yeah but it's a little on the annoying side. The True Trac you'll never notice under noal drivinh
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For most of the wheeling we do here in Michigan, we don't really "need" a locker (in fact, sometimes they can make things too easy, lol... I've been told a few times before "Okay, now try it again without the lockers"). They'll make the biggest difference on some of the more technical rock/obstacle crawls, which in that regard I believe you'd see more benefit with a full locker as opposed to a limited slip; though limited slip will certainly help through the mud and sandy hill climbs.

I'd advise against an auto locker, they are great and all, but for slippery winter roads they can be a little unpredictable and dangerous.

Quick Reply: To lock or not...