Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Load Range & Tires

Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load Range & Tires

Hi, I am getting 35's and 3.5" lift. I think eventually I might also get some bumpers etc that will increase my weight. How serious is this when considering which Load Range for tires to purchase? I wouldnt want to have too much weight on the wrong tires.

Appreciate any knowledge.

D
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

It's really not that important at all unless you are towing heavy loads with your JK. Weight from bumpers, winch, etc. aren't a big deal.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Here is something I have been working on a bit, although still unfinished that will give you an idea of where you should be. The weights listed are curb weights (w/o occupants or payload), and it pushes away from using outdated load range numbers and instead uses Service Descriptions and Load Index numbers. As your profile suggests your JK is fairly stock, so you'll want to keep your Service Description under 115, but not below 110.

Anyway, here's the chart in it's preliminary state and don't get sucked into looking at Load Range letters.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

that is car weight? i thought the Jeep weighed 4000 pounds or so. Anyway, so tire pressure is most important....more important than Load range like c,d, or e

no coffee yet....

Last edited by Lotus03; 04-26-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: noob
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i think you'll find that most all if not all off road tires are load range c or higher and you'd be good to go with that. range d and e are nice as they have thicker sidewalls and will offer more protection on the trail but, they can also offer a harsher ride. or, over a load range c tire anyway.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lotus03
that is car weight? i thought the Jeep weighed 4000 pounds or so. Anyway, so tire pressure is most important....more important than Load range like c,d, or e

no coffee yet....
No not vehicle weight represented in the chart, but the load bearing capability of a tire. Chryslers out of the box spec is for 50% of the JKs weight to be supported by a single tire. This is due to the weight considerations of a high center of gravity vehicle in turns, breaking and most importantly off road demands. Plus size tires need an additional 10% of load capacity as well. Just look at your door placard, the initial stock tire rating and inflation rates. From there it's a simple math equation.

As mentioned, I have some work to do on the chart and a lot of that is putting things into a format that's easy to understand. Your questions help me get there and I could write a short book on what got me this far.

Quick Reply: Load Range & Tires