Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Load chart for Crager says max 30" tire for 15" wheels???

Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load chart for Crager says max 30" tire for 15" wheels???

The load rating chart that came with my crager soft 8's says max wheel load for a 15" wheel is 1500 Lbs using 30 inch max tires. I was planning on going with 35" KM2's and now I am reluctant to do so. Am I being too cautious??
Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Might wanna check and make sure those 15" wheels will even clear your calipers. Lots of guys on the board have got 15" Cragars and they won't clear. They've either got different wheels or ground down the outside of their calipers to make them work. I believe you can make them work with proper wheel spacers (SpiderTrax / Teraflex).

Some have even claimed that 16" Cragars won't fit. Mine fit fine though. I never saw a load chart, but my 35's and 16" wheels seem to be okay, still balanced, and no odd deformities so far.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Am I being too cautious??

yes

-shaun h
Old 01-20-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Am I being too cautious??
There is only 1 word that describes why 30" tires are shown to be the maximum size for your Cragar wheels:

Liability

You should be fine. Just like all of us running wheels spacers and beadlock wheels on paved roads and highways, even though they are for "off-road" use only.

A word of caution though. Always check your wheels for proper balance and anything out of the ordinary at every rotation (3k to 5k miles). If you notice anything unusual, address the problem, otherwise enjoy your 35s on 15" Cragars! The other issue is that the Cragars may rub a bit on the brake calipers. There's a few threads on this. Search and see what others have done. I think some have filed down the outside edge of the caliper to make the wheel fit correctly. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nclehmann
There is only 1 word that describes why 30" tires are shown to be the maximum size for your Cragar wheels:

Liability

You should be fine. Just like all of us running wheels spacers and beadlock wheels on paved roads and highways, even though they are for "off-road" use only.

A word of caution though. Always check your wheels for proper balance and anything out of the ordinary at every rotation (3k to 5k miles). If you notice anything unusual, address the problem, otherwise enjoy your 35s on 15" Cragars! The other issue is that the Cragars may rub a bit on the brake calipers. There's a few threads on this. Search and see what others have done. I think some have filed down the outside edge of the caliper to make the wheel fit correctly. Good luck.

its all about liability these days. everyone wants to cover their ass. some offroad parks i go to have you sign a wavier so if i die no one can sue.

run the 35s
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The liability thing would make sense. Guess it's a good way to cover their ass in the case of violent failure with some guy rocking 42's or something. And in the case they're on a truck/Jeep you'd be over the weight rating so yet again they'd be not at fault.

Good to here that Cragars have had some long time users.

Quick Reply: Load chart for Crager says max 30" tire for 15" wheels???