Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LMFAO you have to see this!!!! some people have way to much extra time and money

Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why!?!?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helnbk
For rock crawlers suck down winches are a great tool to get you over obstacles. For 95% of the jeeps on here will not need it. I have a front suck down winch, and has helped me numerous times.
So you get over obstacles by losing clearance? I'm kind of having trouble picturing these obstacles
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

OK, so far it can be used for:

- getting into garage
- short people getting into Jeep
- lowering center of gravity when needed

Still not sure about the obstacle thing though.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
So you get over obstacles by losing clearance? I'm kind of having trouble picturing these obstacles
It's not for clearance. You use a suck down winch for steep climbs as it keeps your front end from unloading. If your front suspension unloads unexpectedly in a steep climb, you might find the front end lifting off the ground and going over.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Man, based on the title I was really expecting something different, what a let down
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Why dont you all google suck down winches before making yourself look stupid because you dont know what they are. They are actually pretty common in the offroading world. I havent needed one but I have seen them.

Limiting straps sort of do the same type thing. Limiting straps are cheaper so they are more common.

Last edited by duneslider; 12-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap!!!! Lmao! This is great!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by steve578
It's not for clearance. You use a suck down winch for steep climbs as it keeps your front end from unloading. If your front suspension unloads unexpectedly in a steep climb, you might find the front end lifting off the ground and going over.
OK, it makes sense, but in a climb that steep you need some serious breakover angle. So it's kind of counter productive. I wouldn't use it, nor would I want to climb something that steep.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes suck down winches have limited use but for the times that you need them, they are priceless. Imagine this, you are climbing a waterfall. Front tires make contact and you start going vertical, you get to a certain point the front end unloads and the front comes over the top and you tumble. This is what the suck down winch is for. With the suck down winch, your front tires make contact, you start to climb and then suck down the front. Continue the climb, crest the top, unload the front and complete the climb. Limited use yes. But very useful for certain instances.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the description of how they are used big Steve.

Quick Reply: LMFAO you have to see this!!!! some people have way to much extra time and money