Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A little lift install help please

Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little lift install help please

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my new RE 2" BB and was wondering if you could help.

The nut and bolt mounting one of the front shocks to the frame got cross threaded and now won't thread more than half the length of the nut. Should I even attempt to fix this or just buy new hardware from somewhere? If I got new hardware, any idea on specs? RE's site doesn't have any. I'm guessing Lowe's or Home Depot would have what I need, but I can't take off the hardware to match it since I have to drive the Jeep over there

Next, one of the front sway bar links is being a PITA. We tried for like two hours last night to get the two nuts in a good position on the bolt, but any progress made fitting one nut will re-align the other. I'm guessing there's a trick to getting the links right, but I have no idea what that might be. Anyone with more experience able to help?

And last, the rear shocks came with extra metal sleeves that I'm guessing are supposed to go around the dog bones in the rubber bushings. We didn't put these on and the instructions didn't mention them at all, are they necessary?

Thanks in advance guys. I really like the stance and as soon as my wheels and tires are mounted and balanced I'll get some pics up!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ancient Machine
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my new RE 2" BB and was wondering if you could help.

Next, one of the front sway bar links is being a PITA. We tried for like two hours last night to get the two nuts in a good position on the bolt, but any progress made fitting one nut will re-align the other. I'm guessing there's a trick to getting the links right, but I have no idea what that might be. Anyone with more experience able to help?

!
i can help here... just put the top bolt in on the link then grab the sway bar itself and pull down or push up whichever would help your situation. these links should be easy to put on even if you're sitting a little unlevel.

actually wait... 2 nuts in a good position on the bolt? im not understanding this there should just be a top bolt and a bottom bolt each with only 1 nut...

oh and about the shock nut and bolt i can help there too.. go to home depot or whatever and replace the hardware.. make sure it is at least a grade 8 bolt. if you don't know what that means just tell the clerk and he will point you in the right direction. In my opinion the bolt don't have to be the EXACT same size. just as long as it fits through the holes and you can tighten it snug you shouldn't have
a problem, but taking your old bolt and nut would be beneficial.

well, here's edit number 3 for the last part... if it don't rattle.... (or come apart) don't worry about it. my shocks just used the factory "dog bones" with no extra rubber or anything

Last edited by davebloomer; 05-24-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I should have clarified: The top mount of one of the front sway bar links is the one giving me issues. It does indeed have two nuts. I believe the outboard nut is supposed to be secured while the inboard nut is turned, however the outboard nut has creeped and now no matter how we try to manipulate either nut we always end up with the same placement on the bolt. I think we're just digging a deeper hole for ourselves. I'd hate to use vice grips on the bolt, but there seems to be no other way to get both nuts in the right spot. Now the nut on the inboard side (left side in the pic) is only one the nut by about half of its threads.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and I think I'll take your advice and get a few bolts and nuts from Home Depot. They're 3.5" long and I'll get a grade 8 bolt (guessing that's the thickness of the bolt?) I'll grab a few different sizes just in case because, like you said, it doesn't have to be exact. As long as the mount is secure I'll be happy.

Now that I think about it... could those metal sleeves be for the front shocks so that the bolt threads don't tear the bushing? I didn't put the front ones on, so maybe there was already a solution in place... dangit, I think I may have to take both off just to check.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Noob ?

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my new RE 2" BB
What does the BB stand for?
Old 05-24-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

BB is budget boost. A budget boost is a pretty cost-effective, but smaller, lift. It usually consists of some coil spacers and maybe some shocks like mine did. Great way to get 2"-3" of lift to clear 33s or 35s. There are several brands out there that offer different variations.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

...and I'll get a grade 8 bolt (guessing that's the thickness of the bolt?)...
The Grade is the strength of the bolt. Suspension bolts are supposed to be Grade 8 and the other structural bolts are Grade 5.

Grade 5 has 3 tick marks on the head and Grade 8 has 6.

You'll have to go the specialty bolts section to get the Grade 8's.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I see, thanks for the bolt education Joe.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I see, thanks for the bolt education Joe.
I'm nuts about bolts.

I don't know where you live, but our local Ace Hardware has the best selection of Grade 5 and Grade 8 nuts and bolts (compared to Home Depot and Lowe's).
Old 05-24-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in Anchorage, AK. I think there's an Ace in town, but Lowe's is pretty close. I just got back, in fact. I hope the hardware I got works.

Any other advice on the sway bar link?

Quick Reply: A little lift install help please