Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lincolnlock?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lincolnlock?

My spider gears are self destucting. I know it isnt one wheel burnouts or the mighty torque of the 3.8. Any options? Its an open 44 with 4.88s turning 35s.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

I notice you have upgraded to 4.88s. Was it going through spider gears before that? I had to change my fluid after a 500 mile break-in period. Could metal shavings from the ring and pinion be getting in the spider gears?
I'll admit I'm grasping at straws, but it's all I can think of.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah its the spiders, Yukon gears have been fine for about 15000 miles. the two gears thet ride on the pin aparently have enough slop to bind.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you maybe have a bad carrier. not sure of your warranty status but you might be able to get it fixed under warranty. If not you can probably pick up another carrier at a junkyard cheap and do a rebuild. Sadley when spider gears start going it usually means the pin is wearing as well and new spiders/bearings aren't going to help much. Shouldn't be overly expensive if you have to pay, around $500 (I had a similar problem on the 9inch rear on my Bronco). Maybe consider upgrading to a locker since you have to tear the rear apart anyway??
Old 09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

23000 miles on the Jeep and first owner, I might get warranty help but didnt want to put more bad parts in it. The pin does rock in the carrier too, looks like a rare problem for us but I would rather go back with a truetrac or something comparable? Guessing the lincoln locker would finish off the carrier along with everything around it before the after market catches up.