Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Limp mode after regear.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Limp mode after regear.

Jeep: RHD Jeep JK Rubicon 2012 4 Door
Good day, I got my jeep back tuesday after having it regeared, I then had a dyno tuning shop a day later change the jeeps gear ratio to 5.13.

But they told me it still goes into limp mode as soon as you drive it and wont shift gears. Error Code I get: P0731 and P0732, I myself dont have a programmer, so I can not do much.
No I was wondering is it possible to clear these Transmission Codes without a scanner/programmer tool. Since they told me the correct gear ratio is programmed in and thats all they can do.

Is there maybe something else that can cause this?

Thank you!
Old 11-09-2022, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

You know my thoughts....just subscribed to see what others might say.
The following users liked this post:
pondfishr (05-02-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yannikmeyer
Jeep: RHD Jeep JK Rubicon 2012 4 Door
Good day, I got my jeep back tuesday after having it regeared, I then had a dyno tuning shop a day later change the jeeps gear ratio to 5.13.

But they told me it still goes into limp mode as soon as you drive it and wont shift gears. Error Code I get: P0731 and P0732, I myself dont have a programmer, so I can not do much.
No I was wondering is it possible to clear these Transmission Codes without a scanner/programmer tool. Since they told me the correct gear ratio is programmed in and thats all they can do.

Is there maybe something else that can cause this?

Thank you!
Recently regeared and faced exactly the same problem. FOR 3 months tried fixing it and recently solved it. If you need help pls let me know.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by orkunaltinbas
Recently regeared and faced exactly the same problem. FOR 3 months tried fixing it and recently solved it. If you need help pls let me know.
I just had my jeep regeared from 3.73 to 4.10’s, and am struggling.

I used JScan to set the gears and initialize EGS.

I confirmed the right gears were installed and that the wheel speed sensors are working.

Every time I try to drive it goes into limp mode! Please share your wisdom!
Old 05-15-2023, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Regearing using jscan app

Hi again,

with using following steps I have fixed my problem. I suggest the following steps.

As I said earlier my fault was I have driven the wrangler after regearing without programming the ecu.

because of this my wrangler was not shifting above 2.nd gear and after few tries it was going into Limp mode. I have tried clearing the codes regearing few times through Jscan had no luck and car kept doing the same thing.

I went to the dealer couple of times they said I have p1731- p0850 - U0141-00 and some other fault codes. They need to replace the transmission.

After using Jscan app and all of them are gone, no fault codes. Jeep shifts like oem.

Pls try the following steps;
Sure, below are the instructions from AEV. follow them, make sure u really disconnect for the 2 hours
Ok, if so you already have an error in the system. Thatwill need to be cleared before the car will run correctly. Follow these steps and let me know if there are any issues:

(On the Jscan, turn the key TWO CLICKS in to the RUN setting, where all the lights are ON in the dash)

Without Dealer Tools:

Start with engine off two clicks - dash lights on.

1. Use the Jscan to Clear DTCs (it’s under Engine Functions)

2. Program a ratio you do NOT have with the Jscan, 3.73 or something.Do not drive or move the vehicle.

3. initialize Egs.

4. Disconnect the + Battery cable for at least 4 hours. ( I have disconnected 12 hrs)

5. Again check and Use the Jscan to Clear DTCs if any. (it’s under Engine Functions)

6. Turn the key to off position for 2 mins.

7. Turn two clicks, engine off - dash lights running - Program your correct gear ratio.

8. initialize Egs.

9. Disconnect the + Battery cable for at least 4 hours ( I have waited 12 hrs)

10. Hook the battery back up, drive the car.

11. Repeat Steps 1, 2, and 3.

If you have any issues after that please let me know.

hope this helps.

For better understanding I am sharing a message which was send by a member on an another forum, which I have found usefull for better understanding of the process.
I have fixed my car following these steps. ( clearing codes- regearing oem ratios-unhooking battery for 12 hrs-reprogramming correct tire/axle ratio- initializing Egs-leaving the car for 12 hrs without driving. It has worked for me using Jscan.

—————————————————————-

Before we start, I'll assume the Jscan has been used to set the correct Tire Size and Gear Ratio and that the speedometer has to verified to be +/- 1mph at 65mph.

First... Unhook the battery. Unhook, then hold the Positive + Terminal to the Negative - Terminal for 10-20 seconds. This should allow for faster capacitor discharge in some circuits. Now, leave the Positive Terminal unhooked for about 20 minutes.

Second... Before hooking the Positive Terminal back up to the battery, unplug the two large connectors on the Engine Controller (PCM) under the hood. In my testing, the backup value stored in the PCM of tire size and gear ratio goes largely unused except for a couple rare situations. However, by staggering the reinitialization of the PCM (plugging it in last) it might help force an update. So, hook up the battery again, turn the key to RUN, then plug in the PCM. This is a hot-swap which normally I wouldn't recommend, except that the PCM was designed to be treated a lot rougher than a hot plug and play.

Third... with everything hooked back up again. Use the jscan to set the values again. Note: The jscan WILL NOT program the same value twice in a row. That is, if you have 34.25" tires and use the jscan to set that twice. To get the jscan to overwrite a value, a temporary value must be used first. I always recommend taking the value you have and change it by the smallest change possible. Once that is done, you can program your correct value again. So, if you have 34.25" programmed in, and want to verify it for the means on this exercise, program 34.00", turn the vehicle off, turn it back to RUN (not engine running or start) and then program 34.25" again. So do this for gear ratio and tire size.

Fourth... with the gears and tires re-set to correct values pull the battery as per step one again. 20 minutes at least. No need to stagger the PCM this time, just leave everything hooked up and let the vehicle sleep it off

Last edited by orkunaltinbas; 05-15-2023 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Adding some more info

Quick Reply: Limp mode after regear.