Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Limiting straps

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed....

I've been looking at doing something since I think I either need retaining clips of straps.
I have the Teraflex 3" full flex arm lift and at full flex the front coils do move off the base..
whats the correct way to measure the length needed....
Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
whats the correct way to measure the length needed....

Depends on which ones you go with. The first step for you now is to decide which ones you will purchase and determine how they mount.

Some fixed ones (like Teraflex) mount in a specific location (shown in the video on first page), so if you go with those you really just need the measurement to each mounting location when fully extended (and most likely subtract an inch for swag factor and stretching).

If you go with adjustable ones from someone like poly performance, you have much more leeway. In that case, just get a close measurement (when extended) from where you plan on mounting them. Then you can fine tune them one you get them installed. Seams like a much better way to go to me.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I run 5 limit straps. I get them from Filthymotorsports.com but you can get them from other places like poly.
The only kit I have seen that includes them is the stage 3 Mopar lift.
They should be included in any lift really to protect the shocks, driveshafts, and prevent coil unloading.
I use the poly clevis as well, makes it nice to adjust.

5? You run one at each corner and then one in the center on the front axle?

Never heard of filthy motorsports. I will have to check them out, thanks for the link.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Former Vendor

Limit straps should absolutely be used. They should be included in suspension kits however most kits do not include shocks so that makes it difficult to know what length strap is needed, but the manufacturer should tell the end user that they need to measure for limit straps.

When measuring for limit straps you want to make sure that you leave room for the strap to stretch. A good rule of thumb is to account for one inch of stretch per foot of strap. In other words if you measure your suspension and decide you need a 12" strap you will actually want an 11" strap. In most cases you will end up welding bungs to the frame so you can bolt in the straps.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys

I did watch the video after I posted so I have an idea now. Next step is to look at where those mounting points are then flex it out.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I run them on each corner and at the center of the rear diff to protect the driveshaft from excessive angles.
I cover limiting straps in this thread I did a couple years ago on shocks.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...7/#post3813734
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
Thanks guys

I did watch the video after I posted so I have an idea now. Next step is to look at where those mounting points are then flex it out.
If you are going to weld on tabs this is a nice way to go, no adjustment but a clean install.

Quick Reply: Limiting straps