Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Limited slip diffs?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited slip diffs?

Since my JK is a DD it seems like I should stick with LSD's. The rear is the stock trac-lok. front is open. Is the detroit true-trak a good option for the front?

should i leave the stock rear alone until i have a problem with it?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Levi
Since my JK is a DD it seems like I should stick with LSD's. The rear is the stock trac-lok. front is open. Is the detroit true-trak a good option for the front?

should i leave the stock rear alone until i have a problem with it?
I have installed Truetrac's FR & RR and they are simply the best for my needs. I certainly don't hit the rock gardens and never intend to, just trails & forest roads, etc... Man, if you do plan on getting the FR done get the RR done too because the factory LSD is not good at all and in time will render useless. It's my advice, if you want to save some coin, to get them installed the same time you regear if that's in your future.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes the TT is a great option for the front or rear if you do not plan to play on the rocks.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The TT is your best option. For off road use a gear driven LSD (like the TT) is the only real LSD option we should consider. Clutch driven LSDs wear out very fast when a tire is lifted and spun. With a gear driven unit like the TT, free spinning the tire doesn't cause any damage and you don't lose any LSD function.

Years back I had Detroit Electracs in both ends of my Jeep. The Electrac was an electric selectable built by Tractech (the builder of the Detroit Locker before Eaton bought the Co.). It was TT based then switched to full lock. On one run where we had a lot of snow, mud and steep hills with wet roots the TT really showed its worth. I had numerous friends on the run that had ARBs. All day long I could hear them turning on and off their lockers. Never once that day did I use the lockers. I used only the TT LSD function the entire day. What that day showed me, very clearly, is that when most people hit the locker (ARB or similar) it's not because they need a locker, it's because they need something better than open.

For a moderate wheeler or a DD, the TT is a great option.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vincent

I have installed Truetrac's FR & RR and they are simply the best for my needs. I certainly don't hit the rock gardens and never intend to, just trails & forest roads, etc... Man, if you do plan on getting the FR done get the RR done too because the factory LSD is not good at all and in time will render useless. It's my advice, if you want to save some coin, to get them installed the same time you regear if that's in your future.
so if I only could pay for front or back right now I would get the front right? or is the back one that bad that it would be better to get the rear?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine was supposed to installed yesterday. The local 4wdparts store called and told me they wore out several drill bits, trying to enlarge the ring gear bolt holes. Even tried, harden bits. They have enlarged carrier ring gear bolt holes before with no problem but, in that maybe Eaton hard this carrier different? Which in the end, might be good for me!

They will have to wait until Monday to call Eaton to find out what to do! They said will probaly take to a machine shop to have drilled out?

I would replace the rear factory lsd if it was me.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GunDude
They will have to wait until Monday to call Eaton to find out what to do! They said will probaly take to a machine shop to have drilled out?
There have been several posts about this. THe TT case is known to be HARD

so if I only could pay for front or back right now I would get the front right? or is the back one that bad that it would be better to get the rear?
If you have the factory l/s in back, get the front TT now and replace the rear when you get around to it. (unless you know for a fact the the rear limited is already worn out and not functioning...)
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

ok thanks! when would they usually go out? how would I know?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by j33p4life
ok thanks! when would they usually go out? how would I know?

This one has some info on checking it:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=truetrac
Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

I'd go ahead w/the front as u planned, no prob there man. As you read on along the forum you'll notice that many here will say, plan ahead...meaning if you go ahead and get bigger tires it's possible you may need to regear to accommodate...thats the best time to get everything installed so you don't have to waste money twice on labor. Happy Jeepin'!!!!

Quick Reply: Limited slip diffs?