Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lighting Laws in Virginia

Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Laws in Virginia

Does anyone know what the rule is for adding extra lights in VA? I just ordered some pillar brackets and lights. I don't wan to run afoul of the law, especially not with the new exhorbitant fines.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

I found this site but dont have time to go through it right now. Good luck.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...10000000000000
Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Does anyone know what the rule is for adding extra lights in VA? I just ordered some pillar brackets and lights. I don't wan to run afoul of the law, especially not with the new exhorbitant fines.
ping SchwartzJP. Joe has these on his JK and he lives in Leesburg, VA. they look good too. I live in Manassas and will be installing them as well.

Apparently as long as their is a FIXED COVER and they do NOT come on with regular lights you are ok....But ask Joe.

Here is his public profile from the JK board here.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/members/schwarzjp-3466/
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

The only stipulation I saw

B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time. However, this limitation shall not preclude the display of warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027, or other lights as may be authorized by the Superintendent.

I was also dissapointed to see

It shall be a Class 6 felony to install or to aid or abet in installing, in any manner, in or on any motor vehicle any device, appliance, equipment, or instrument of any kind, character, or description, or any part of such device, appliance, equipment, or instrument, designed for generating or emitting smoke, thereby creating what is commonly known as a "smoke screen," or of emitting any gas or flame which may be a hindrance or obstruction to traffic. It shall also be a Class 6 felony to knowingly possess or drive on the highways any motor vehicle so equipped.

So much for my spyhunter mod write up.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

you can put all the lights you want on the jeep, if they are up high the 5-0 will get you unless they have covers on them

b'sides you dont want to blidn anyone on the highway when using off road lights, so just cover them up, and take the covers off when you hit the trails at night
Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ge99ne

It shall be a Class 6 felony to install or to aid or abet in installing, in any manner, in or on any motor vehicle any device, appliance, equipment, or instrument of any kind, character, or description, or any part of such device, appliance, equipment, or instrument, designed for generating or emitting smoke, thereby creating what is commonly known as a "smoke screen," or of emitting any gas or flame which may be a hindrance or obstruction to traffic. It shall also be a Class 6 felony to knowingly possess or drive on the highways any motor vehicle so equipped.

So much for my spyhunter mod write up.
WHAT?!?!?!? AWWWW MAN!!!!! Thats just wrong!! C'mon! I want to to the Spyhunter mod too!!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

During inspection time you are not allowed to have more than four headlight lights on at one time. If you hit the high beams your fog lights, or other lights, should go off. If they don't you are not allowed to pass the inspection. (not that every inspection station abides by the written rule) You are also not allowed to have any obstructions over your headlights, grills etc. For those of us running other lights along with our fogs we are required to have them covered. They are only for off road use. If you happen to run these lights at night on the highway you could be in violation. (my 2 cents)
Old 07-21-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Does the law say anything about covering them? I know I wouldn't use my pillar long range lights on the road, but I hate the look of covers.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

§ 46.2-1019. Spotlights.

Any motor vehicle or motorcycle may be equipped with one or two spotlights which, when lighted, shall be aimed and used so that no portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway at any time or more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. Any such lights shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent. No such spotlights shall be used in conjunction with or as a substitute for required head lights, except in case of emergency.

(Code 1950, § 46-272; 1954, c. 58; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-266; 1989, c. 727.)

Think this means I can leave the covers off?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

When I went and got mine inspected, fog lights and aux lights. They made me cover the aux lights and made sure the fogs went off when the high beams were on.. You could always put a call into the State Police and ask them their position.

Quick Reply: Lighting Laws in Virginia