Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lightbar/Canoe rack

Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightbar/Canoe rack

I've seen the Warrior Products bars that can be used as a light bar and they make a Canoe rack but not really what I'm looking for.

I want to build the bar so that it sits just above the windshield and mounting rectangle or oval lights directly in the front of the bar or underneath. I guess it would look similar to the TombRaider Jeep setup.

For the purpose of supporting the canoe/kayak in the rear I was thinking out a T shaped bracket that would go into the receiver hitch.

Could use any of the windshield light mounting brackets as a base to custom build a light bar that would also support the weight of a 2 man kayak or canoe
Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

a number of racks mount where the windshield lights go. I think because of that the weight concern should be ok.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

realwheels makes a lightbar like the old Warrior TJ bar that mount to the windshield hinges. Bar has 4 light mounts with pretty good spacing. Its around 500 bux and either chrome or billet black.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gldwings1
realwheels makes a lightbar like the old Warrior TJ bar that mount to the windshield hinges. Bar has 4 light mounts with pretty good spacing. Its around 500 bux and either chrome or billet black.
For that price I'm pretty sure I could design something that would be dual purpose and find someone locally to put it together. I practically live in the trailer manufacturing capital of America and welders are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

if you get something done make sure to keep everyone in the loop with it. show some pics and design ideas.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
if you get something done make sure to keep everyone in the loop with it. show some pics and design ideas.
Most definately. I dont really have a need right now for a cargo rack but would like the option of carrying canoe/kayak, as well as stuff from the lumber yard when I want. Definately want lights so I'm going to try and come up with something that'll do both.

I know several certified welders and could probably even get the Welder teacher at work to put something together for me. I'll get my idea on paper and share as it progresses.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

This basically what I'm thinking about doing. Either keeping the lights below the bar or in front of the bar (maybe a little of both).
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Kargo Master Congo Cage for sale...that would accomplish all those things you're looking for.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huskyfargo
I have a Kargo Master Congo Cage for sale...that would accomplish all those things you're looking for.
I sent you a PM
Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkdrone
For the hitch setup, a lot of guys around here use use a T-style extender for the hitch. The one from northern tool ( northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_19670_19670 ) can be reversed so that it goes as high as 62" above the hitch.

You don't actually need the front light bar, but it helps. I've seen plenty of people haul theirs just fine w/ the T-extender and just a pool noodle up front. Personally, I like my 'yak more secure than that, but to each his own [budget] =)

!c
Nice...thanks for the link. Yeah I guess if it was just a short drive to the water the pool noodle idea would be ok, but like you said I'd rather it be more secure too.

Quick Reply: Lightbar/Canoe rack