Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Light weight bumpers for JK

Old 05-13-2015, 02:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by PET77
Wrong line of thinking right there. Stock bumpers are designed to reduce the damage to your Jeep and they are ment to be easily replaced, if you put them to that use. Steel bumper on the other hand doest not reduce any of the impact force to your car as it passes it on right to the body. This means that all hits are taken directly by you body, which may bend, based on the force of the impact. Do I have to mention its significantly more of a hassle to replace the body than the plastic bumper?
and according to some airbags are less likely to go off in a mild front end accident with stock vs steel due to the de-acceleration factor of the stock bumpers crush cans. true or not makes sense to me.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at JCR i have there front dagger series and it is maybe only 10 lbs over stock so that puts it at 45ish it hasnt caused any sage for me ive had it for a year. They are also a fantastic company for costomer service i cant say enough nice things about them.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ok so ill tell you what

let me drive into your car with stock bumper and then drive into your car with my ps steel bumper

see the difference of the impact on your car and damage to mine

if what you say is true why do they use strong steel on a tank vs mopar products i have to disagree with your myth lol

try hitting a deer with a mopar / ill take my chances with ps steel, ill just hose off the guts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7289.JPG
Views:	772
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	610549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793 (3).jpg
Views:	786
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	610550  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-13-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
let me drive into your car with stock bumper and then drive into your car with my ps steel bumper

see the difference of the impact on your car and damage to mine
I actually have some worry about that as I try and be a safe consensus driver, but in the event that I screw up big time, and rear end or T-bone someone I hope they are not injured or worse.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i drive safely too

the 410s and standard shift kinda force you to be aware at all times . Theres no time not to concentrate on your driving . i just feel safer with stronger ( steel ) in front of me than a light weight one on impact to anything rocks , car , whatever
Hope i never have a incident to find out

i think 410 gearing should get you a discount on insurance , just because you cant go as fast

Maybe im wrong on facts but i certainly will take my chances with 130lbs of steel up front

over a 20 lb bumper aluminum , or thin steel.

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-13-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Appreciate all the great ideas here. My jeep is 6.5 years old now and from being park in the sun all day the stock bumpers faded so much. They have turned from black to light grey. Anyone ever painted the stock bumpers?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Very light, high clearance and strong you might want check out Savvy bumpers.

Savvy Offroad
Old 05-13-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheemajatt
Appreciate all the great ideas here. My jeep is 6.5 years old now and from being park in the sun all day the stock bumpers faded so much. They have turned from black to light grey. Anyone ever painted the stock bumpers?
Go to harbor freight and get yourself a 10 dollar heat gun. Carefully apply heat to your bumper plastic. I did this just before I traded my Dodge Ram in and left all the plastics leaving factory fresh after being chalky for years. Look this up on you tube. It's real easy. Just make sure you don't stay in the same spot for too long or you'll obviously melt the plastic. Super cheap and super easy.
The following users liked this post:
JK Lion (10-22-2018)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Rusty's Off-road JK trail rear bumper. Weighs about 40lbs and is 3/16 plate steel. Not to mention comes powder coated and shipped for about 420.00. Also direct bolt on no modifications at all!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-18-2015, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I actually have some worry about that as I try and be a safe consensus driver, but in the event that I screw up big time, and rear end or T-bone someone I hope they are not injured or worse.
Agree. It is something to think about when buying a bumper. I personally would never buy a bumper that requires modify the frame.

Quick Reply: Light weight bumpers for JK