Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Light shaking through steering column ?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you change the rims? Have you tried a tire rotation? Did you remove the rotar assembly washers?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

I also have what seams like the same exact problem. I feel a rattle which feels like it is in the column. I just got the jeep a couple weeks ago and it did it with the stock tires. I just put on some 35" GY mtr on stock rims with some spacers a BB and it feels worse. Took it to a shop and they said everything looked fine. I just received today the front end bolt kit from northridge to replace the bolts as also recommended here on the forum. I'll let you know if it helps at all or if you find the culprit please share.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Yes I changed the stock wheels out for some black pro comp ones. Did you mean the brake rotar washers, sorry still Learning tech talk.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

found this comment by wayoflife on the project-jk website under tips and tricks ""

"just to make sure we're on the same page here, death wobble is a sudden, severe and violent shaking of your entire jeep and the only way to make it stop is to come to a complete stop. this is not to be confused with a bad shimmy in the steering wheel or even bad vibration. if you do indeed have death wobble, have you checked your ball joints? it's not uncommon for them to go bad prematurely and if they are bad, they would definitely cause death wobble."
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I myself have had both a bad death wobble experience that resulted in a complete stop. I also have a bad shimmy in the wheel at highway speeds and a bad vibration. This is my second wrangler and with my tj I never experienced the dw. I am really looking forward to getting the bolts changed out up front to see if that helps. It goes in for new gears on Tuesday, considering I have lost over drive with 3.73's, and will definitely have them check the ball joints at the same time.

Quick Reply: Light shaking through steering column ?