Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Light shaking through steering column ?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light shaking through steering column ?

Hey all I am a new member and absolutely love this forum. I am also a proud owner of a 2009 JKU with only 14k miles. I inherited the jeep from my grandparents in stock condition with 13k miles. The jeep was well loved and sat in a garage for about 3 years. So on to my problem. I drove the jeep around as my daily driver for a good 3 months and noticed that there were some slight vibrations that I could feel through the steering column and pedals, nothing truly bad. It kinda felt like something was loose but I wasn't sure where it was coming from (not sure if it's just a jeep thing lol). Anyways I recently lifted the jeep 3.5 in and put on 35's, and the slight loose vibration/shaking feeling is still there. Is this the early onset for DW? I used to drive a 05 f150 and the steering on that guy was still tight at 80,000 miles. I understand the jeep is a lot lighter and the parts are smaller, anyone else have this type of issue?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor

The main culprits that I've heard of are steering stabilizer, track bar bolts, and worn steering components like TREs. Aside from having a looksee under the front end to see if anything has obvious wear and tear, I'd recommend putting the front end in the air and giving it a shakedown with a buddy to see if anything is moving around up there.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

A shake down sounds like a great idea I just wasn't sure if it was common to feel some vibration in jeeps. I haven't had an ideal day to sit and look at all the parts underneath but I will make sure to do so.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I suggest getting your tires balanced. Not all tire shops are the same i had to go to a second shop before the tires got balanced correctly. Then keep the tires rotated every 5k.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess would be your tires need re balanced... i would almost say100% that is the problem .
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brizon85
A shake down sounds like a great idea I just wasn't sure if it was common to feel some vibration in jeeps. I haven't had an ideal day to sit and look at all the parts underneath but I will make sure to do so.
Any vehicles sitting for 3 years will also accumulate some brittle and rot to bushings and poly seals as well... Climate differences have variables. Basically climb under and start doing some inspections. Jeeps wiggle, creak, suck gas and make all kinds of noises. But we love the little bastards!!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

haha agreed to all thanks for the comments, yeah I had the work done at a local shop and they should have balanced the tires but eh I can never trust someone I can't watch
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

i would guess its the tires. I might take more than once to get them balanced correctly
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

What tires are you running? When was the last time they were rotated? Does I change when your on a different road?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

I have 35 BFG's. They are brand new, with less than 1000 mi on them. The thing is the vibration is the same now as it was with the stock tires.

Quick Reply: Light shaking through steering column ?