Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Light on in Dash

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light on in Dash

Last night I did the steering linkage mod where you put the 5th wheel grease inside the boot. Took the linkage off, put it back, everything worked fine. Today, the ESP/BAS light stays on. I'm wondering if I have my steering wheel 360* off. I know that sounds strange, but I turned the steering wheel w/out the linkage in there (3/4 of a turn)... and I wonder if I put it back the wrong way or if it really matters. I've heard there are little springs in the steering wheel that tell if it is straight. My steering wheel is straight in general, but I'm wondering if it is actually one full revoloution off... or does it matter?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

That could be a possibility. If I remember correctly from the Write-up, it said to be very careful in not to turn the wheel while the linkage was removed. If you remember which direction you turned the wheel in, I'd try to turn it back the other way.

When I performed this mod, I left the linkage in place. I was able to get the hose of the grease can down far enough into the boot. No more clunky steering!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

I'll give it a whirl... I know it would only be one revoloution off, so I'll try it one way (the way I think it needs to go) and then if that doesn't work, I'll put it back the way it was and then go one the other way.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

BTW, can the springs break? Or is there a way to tell which way the steering wheel might need to go? Or just reset it by reseting the computer to recognize it as a new 'zero' position?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

whats the point of the 5th wheel grease?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
Gets rid of the steering 'clunk'... 5th wheel grease is real tacky and doesn't break down too much. You put in the rubber boot on the upper/middle linkage.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
BTW, can the springs break? Or is there a way to tell which way the steering wheel might need to go? Or just reset it by reseting the computer to recognize it as a new 'zero' position?
Not too sure... I'm not that familiar with the setup in there. Perhaps someone else can comment?

Originally Posted by john smack
Some people are experiencing a "clunk" in the steering wheel, especially when the engine compartment is heated up. The grease that is on there from the factory is apparently not built for high heat and breaks down, thus causing the clunky feeling. By putting a little extra grease under the boot, this provides more protection and no more clunk. The 5th wheel grease is better as it doesn't break down as fast under higher temperatures. If you do a search for "clunky steering" or look for it in the write-up section, you'll find more information about it.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bobzinger
That could be a possibility. If I remember correctly from the Write-up, it said to be very careful in not to turn the wheel while the linkage was removed. If you remember which direction you turned the wheel in, I'd try to turn it back the other way.

When I performed this mod, I left the linkage in place. I was able to get the hose of the grease can down far enough into the boot. No more clunky steering!!!
Bob, this is correct... I went back and looked over the thread. You are 'supposed' to be careful. Obviously that didn't quite work our for me .

My horn works, my air bag light is NOT on... just the ESP and ESP/BAS lights. So I'm thinking that my Clock Spring is not broke at this point.

I believe my stearing wheel is out of whack 360*, I'm not 100% sure which way but have an idea it's turned clockwise one too many turns.

Anyone else have any ideas on this? I'm thinking of taking the upper linkage off again, and just turning the steering wheel counter clockwise one turn... just don't want to make things worse.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
I'll give it a whirl... I know it would only be one revoloution off, so I'll try it one way (the way I think it needs to go) and then if that doesn't work, I'll put it back the way it was and then go one the other way.
I know this is a no-brainer, but based on your statement above I thought I should remind you that if you take it one revolution one way and it doesn't work, you'll actually want to go 2 revolutions the opposite way to get it back to zero, as you would have been off 1 revolution to begin with.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I know this is a no-brainer, but based on your statement above I thought I should remind you that if you take it one revolution one way and it doesn't work, you'll actually want to go 2 revolutions the opposite way to get it back to zero, as you would have been off 1 revolution to begin with.

LOL... Agree'd... sometimes the obvious is worth stating... Thanks for the reminder... I'm going to bungee the steering wheel from the get go this time so that I ensure no more confusion. Hopefully this will fix my issue... My fear is that since my air bag light is not on and my horn still works that at this point my clock spring is not sprung. However, if I go one more revoloution the wrong direction, it could get sprung... so hopefully I get it right the first time ... Guess it's a 50/50 chance and I tried to recall exactly what happened last night... so I'm going to go counter-clockwise to start. Then if that doesn't work, I'll go clockwise 2 turns as you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Light on in Dash