Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifts and tires questions

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifts and tires questions

I live in florida and was wondering what type of lift I should get? I'm getting a 4 door jeep wrangler, I don't plan on going off road much. I just want it lifted bout 2'5 to 3in. Along with lift kit I was looking at tires 35'-37'. Jeeps that are lifted and bigger tires to fill in the wheel well looks a lot better.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i guess it depends on how much you're wanting to spend. if you're on a budget, a 2.5" lift will clear 35's and that's all you'll really need. if you want to get into the relm of 37's, there a lot more you need to do to get it riding well ON PAVEMENT and, that will cost a lot more to do right.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

no I don't want to go any bigger than 35'. What type of lift should I look into? There is so many, just coils and springs etc lol.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat, I am really looking at the rough country spacer lift. I had their steel spacer lift on my last jeep commander. I really beat on it and never had a problem. I think the tera flex spacer lift is made out of a polymer mater.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Based on what you have said my recommendation would be to go with a 2.5" coil lift. Many on here rave about the Teraflex 2.5" which actually nets closer to 3" and will give a good ride and great flex off road, not to mention will look great with 35's
Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Based on what you have said my recommendation would be to go with a 2.5" coil lift. Many on here rave about the Teraflex 2.5" which actually nets closer to 3" and will give a good ride and great flex off road, not to mention will look great with 35's
X2: Just go with a 2.5" coil lift.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shadow's_Jeep
X2: Just go with a 2.5" coil lift.
x3 - You can usually find good deals in the Sponsoring Advertisers section for these with or without shocks and all the other necessities.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If going with a coil lift would you also look at replacing track bars and lower control arms?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by catahoula
If going with a coil lift would you also look at replacing track bars and lower control arms?
I did; I'm somewhat OCD about things, and if the axles weren't centered, I would probably have gone crazy. Also, since I will do some towing with the lift, I wanted to make sure the Jeep didn't feel flighty as can happen with lifts because of alignment changes (IIRC). Adjustable lower control arms help correct it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinrider
I did; I'm somewhat OCD about things, and if the axles weren't centered, I would probably have gone crazy. Also, since I will do some towing with the lift, I wanted to make sure the Jeep didn't feel flighty as can happen with lifts because of alignment changes (IIRC). Adjustable lower control arms help correct it.
I'm the same way I'd be measuring each side. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Lifts and tires questions