Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifts and On Road performance

Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone. good advice. about the teraflex, that is the other one i have heard pretty good things about. It seems like there are very conflicting positions on these and you really can;t go wrong either one you choose. opinions are like a-holes right? everyone's got one.

something other people brought up was budget boost lifts. please correct me if i;m wrong here, but ive heard if youre concerned about ride quality, that is the worst way to go. i;ve heard stories about death wobbles, steering issues, and overall bad ride quality. any truth there?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

A BB does the same thing that a coil lift does, it raises the Jeep and changes the suspension geometry. The problems that some people have with their front ends are not lift dependent. They seem to happen no matter what type of lift is used. There are even a few who have issues with stock vehicles.

The only down side to a BB is that a coil lift will give you more articulation if you have long travel shocks. This is not always an issue if the BB has spring retainers to keep the springs from coming out of the pockets. Also, many of the coil lifts are designed to account for heavier bumpers/winches and level out the jeep stance.

I put on a BB because I will be adding bumpers and winch at a later date and want to buy coils/shocks to match the weight of what I buy. Untill then, and who knows how long that might be, I like the BB and will reuse a lot of it later.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

guess i should have mentioned that i do have a rugged ridge front bumper and a winch. probably a couple hundred ectra pounds causing some droop up front...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mailman1119
guess i should have mentioned that i do have a rugged ridge front bumper and a winch. probably a couple hundred ectra pounds causing some droop up front...
With the added weight, a coil lift and better shocks would probably make you're jeep handle better and get rid of the nose dive.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

iv got a 3" TERAFLEX and 35's

and i drive my jeep every single day on the highway. never had an issue.

Last edited by Mk-Dubai; 05-04-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2" BB with 33s and hydro shocks. I find it rides just as good as factory. When I am home its all I drive. When I am working my wife drives it about half the time and she doesn't notice a difference either.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to add I grew up in Rayne where Interco is located. Any Super Swamper are Thornbird is not made for the road. We have all tried them.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

i rotate my stock rubicon wheels and tires in the mix every now and then and my spacer lift rode no different.....its not the tires. as soon as i switched to the bds springs the ride was considerably better.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for all the input everyone. i have a follow up question. if i do decide to go with OME 2" lift, what is the difference between the heavy duty and medium duty springs? if i have the winch and bumper in the front i would assume i want the HD up front right? but what about the back? can you mix and match? any recommendations there?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

yes, you can mix and match the coils. for your application id go hd in the front and med in the rear but i'd call david at northridge and get his opinion as well. he seems to be very knowledgable on the subject. good luck with the OME. you wont regret it

Quick Reply: lifts and On Road performance