Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifts and On Road performance

Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifts and On Road performance

my jeep is a 2008 wrangler X. i have been wheeling it for about a year now, on light to moderate trails. i love it and I'm hooked. however, i have found that the moderate trails push the stock ride height a bit and i would probably benefit from a mild lift. i will probably never get anything bigger than a 33 in tire.

here's the rub. i wheel probably once or twice a month, and the rest of the time i use the jeep as a daily driver. while i understand that it's a jeep and it's never going to perform like a sports car, i have gotten used to the stock suspension. i regularly drive it up to 80 MPH or so, and i like the way it corners, the ride stability, and how it takes bumps in the road etc.

my question: is there a mild lift out there that will give me clearance for 33in tires without compromising the on road handling I'm used to? i have read a lot about the OME 2in, which seems to be a good fit for what I'm talking about, but what does everyone think? again, on road is preferred over off road, but i do wheel a bit. thanks!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

old man emu lift hands down. best on road perfomance out there in my opinion. i rode in a new jk with the hd springs last week and placed my order the same day to replace my current lift.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If the purpose of the lift is just to clear the tires, then you really don't need one. You can get 33x10.50's on with no lift. If you go to a wider tire, then new rims with the appropriate backspace, or wheel spacers, but no lift needed.

If you want a bit of height anyway, a small spacer lift would work fine, and you wouldn't need to worry about most of the additional expenses that go along with the 3"+ lifts. (you realize that the OME 2" is 'not' a 2" lift, right?)

Certainly not trying to steer you away from an OME lift, as they are great, it just doesn't sound like you really need it.

-Unless you're like most of us who don't think you'll ever go past 33's, and within a few weeks of getting them decide that you should have gone to 35's...

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-03-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

true. it is about a 3" lift but i ran spacers for my first lift and took them off after about a month because of the ride. if i hit bumps going down the road here my cd's would fly out of their case on the visor. coil springs are the way to go no matter what brand lift you get.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I use my JK both as my daily driver and for trail rides and run the Teraflex 2.5" spring lift with adapters. I love it, it rides/handles GREAT on road and off.

I highly recommend it.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased the Teraflex 2 1/2" coil spring lift and love look and the ride. I plan on only putting 33's on but it will accommodate 35's. Gives it just the right amount of lift and a great ride in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

2.5" Teraflex coil lift with shocks....got 35" mud grapplers and its my DD. LOVE it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep3.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	23506
Old 05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

If you like the way it rides, why not go with a BB. Keeps the same shocks and springs that you already have. Granted, you will get more lift with the coils and better shocks.

2.5" Teraflex BB with adapters and 33" tires:

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMPJDS
old man emu lift hands down. best on road perfomance out there in my opinion. i rode in a new jk with the hd springs last week and placed my order the same day to replace my current lift.

I hate to break the news to you but, I don't think your lift is the cause of your harsh ride. I've been wheeling for 20 years and have been through countless different tire selections. By far, the absolute worst riding and performing tire I have ever owned, was TSL Thornbirds. I am 100% positive, that if you switch to ANY late design radial tire, you will be astonished how good your jeep will ride. I didn't post this to bust your nuts or be mean. I'm just passing on something I learned a long time ago. I know I'm new to this forum but, Jeeping has been a part of my life for a LOOONG time. Take my opinion for what it is, an opinion.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd say OME based on what your saying. You want on road handling first and foremost and only want to go to a 33. OME is just perfect for that. Plus its perfectly capable for trails you'll be running with 33's. I've run OME on my TJ and now my JK and I'm happy. Your DD ride will be the same if not better and you'll have room for the new shoes. Plus if you want to go bigger then 33 you can talk to David at Northridge and maybe migrate to the long travel OME, maybe throw on a BL for some extra room and you're golden.

Obviously there are bigger lifts that will give you good ride characteristics but based on your stated needs/tire size, OME is pretty spot on.

The only other lift I've heard consistently good things about is TF. They are an active sponsor on here (yeah Joe!) and help out a bunch. Thats one downside to OME (no direct forum representation) but between Northridge & other users you're pretty covered. Good luck. Either one is a winner.

Quick Reply: lifts and On Road performance