Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lifts and drive shafts

Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifts and drive shafts

Looking at a bigger lift. Here is the question. I want a 4in or 3.5 in lift to clear 37's maybe someday. If I do that what risks rino run on my drive shafts if I don't disconnect my sway bar links when off roading thus limiting the articulation some??
Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkd3624
Looking at a bigger lift. Here is the question. I want a 4in or 3.5 in lift to clear 37's maybe someday. If I do that what risks rino run on my drive shafts if I don't disconnect my sway bar links when off roading thus limiting the articulation some??
What are your specs? JK or JKU? Current lift & tire size? Wheeling type?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Specs 2010 jk standard shift. Currently 2.5 in lift 285-75-16 regearing this fall. Will be getting new rims as well undecided on.those.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

I was told by tera flex that anytime your off Roading you run the risk of breaking the stock shaft with a 3" or 4" lift but should hold together for street use

Personally I'm staying stock for now as I don't go off road at this time but do plan on buying a new shaft as soon as I regear
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like you're running a 2-door. When you get that high in lift your rear driveshaft will start to suffer. The front is a problem on auto 4-doors with too much articulation. They don't "break" as much as they tear the boot and die a faster death.

If you aren't going off road you'd probably be fine. You might even remove the front drive shaft and try to save some MPG.

Quick Reply: lifts and drive shafts